cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QA refresh(Homogeneous system copy from Production to Test system.)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have R/3 4.6c 3-tier system on Iseries (i550) server. PRD is on one LPAR while DEV & QAS are on other LPAR.I have to perform QA refresh i.e. system copy; production data is to be copied from one LPAR to QA system which is on other LPAR. I followed the SAP instguides, but the idea is not clear. Can someone please provide me with some clear documentation or any link as how to do this efficiently. What all things have to be taken into account?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hello,

first, there is so far no reason why the official way to create a homogenous system copy is a wrong choice. For systems based on SAP kernel release 46D there is no SAPinst procedure but the R3SETUP way. Please follow the instructions documented in the R3SETUP guide. You can find some documentation here:

- http://service.sap.com/instguides

- go to: SAP components -> SAP R/3 -> Release 4.6C SR2

The most interesting documents describing installations on IBM iSeries machines are:

- SAP R/3 Installation: IBM AS/400

- SAP R/3 Installation: IBM AS/400 (ASCII)

- SAP R/3 Homogeneous System Copy

There is no real reason to start with an EBCDIC installation (except you want to have a system copy of an already running EBCDIC system) any longer since the conversion to ASCII is required for any SAP product release higher that R/3 4.6C.

You should always start with the so-called 4.6D EXT kernel released in March 2003. This kernel is built for OS/400 release V5R1 (the elder kernels - so-called COM kernel - are for V4Rx) and should not be used any longer. Attached to SAP note 636885 you will find the latest installation control files for R3SETUP on IBM iSeries. For the 4.6D EXT kernel, following notes are interesting in general.

- 610257 - Extended maintenance kernel for SAP Release 31I-46D

- 636885 - Installations with DCK CD 4.6D of March 2003

- 732453 - SP stacks for SAP EXT kernel 4.6D

- 917524 - R3SETUP - Behavior of EXT version

- 695161 - SAPCAR missing in 46D EBCDIC EXT kernel (only if you run EBCDIC)

I know this type of installation is not in any case the optimal way since running a homogenous system copy with R3SETUP using control file DBR3CP.R3S always installs a new system. In addition, due to insufficient program capabilities, R3SETUP wants to load a kernel from CD which is usually outdated. Some experienced consultants and customers use a own procedure that fits better to their needs (e.g. if they want to keep the test system by replacing just the database library by a newer backup). Even the system copy with control file DBR3CP.R3S provides the support for using a saved data library (from tape or an save file) as data input.

I want to give you just one hint on this procedure because it is easy to do. You can avoid the load of the outdated kernel by dropping a line in the control file DBR3CP.R3S (do it on the OS/400 level with command EDTF, not on a Windows share due to the different codepage settings). You have to do this before you call the R3SETUP. There is a section in the file starting with line

Afterwards there is a list of numbered lines representing the necessary installation steps. Look for a line like

command). If you modified the profile files it makes sense to keep a copy. Do not use a SAP user for copying since the SAP users of a system will be deleted during the DLTR3xxx commands (and therefore all owned objects). In general, the most time for deleting the system is used for the step "delete database library" which needs to be dropped anyway.

To all of the consultants here before start flaming me, this is the description that works in any case and will result into running systems. I know this is not the optimum way (especially if just the refresh of the database is needed). But in my opinion here was a question on how to do a homogenous system copy and the best way to learn it is to go the official way. If the "Basis Team Warrier" is experienced enough that he might ask for some hints ans knows what happens in the background.

Best regards,

René Lang

SAP on IBM iSeries Development

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

The procedure outlined in the instguide is the standard solution. The procedures are quite different between different releases though (like 4.6c v.s. ECC 5).

Volker has a well-defined procedure posted in the old SAPoniSeries Yahoo group.

The following thread provides a CL program which mimic Volker's procedure. The sequence is different for certain steps, but it should work.

Best regards,

Victor