cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diff Between Proxy and Adapter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the following question related to the proxies and the adapter.

When do we use Proxies and when do we use Adapter?

I heard that when it is between applications, we use proxies and between business systems, we use adapters. What do you exactly mean by Applications and business systems. Because, inside the business systems also, only the applications are gonig to send/receive messages.

can anybody please explain me the application and business systems in this context with an example.

Priya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

>>When do we use Proxies and when do we use Adapter?

Proxies are generally used when have to deal with large volume of data...

>>I heard that when it is between applications, we use proxies and between business systems, we use adapters. What do you exactly mean by Applications and business systems. Because, inside the business systems also, only the applications are gonig to send/receive messages.

No this is not right...

Regards

Suraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Bhavesh and Suraj.

You said that when we communicate with SAP systems with large volume of data, it is better to go with ABAP Proxy rather than the relavent adapter.

But when do we use Java Proxy?

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Priya,

Java Proxies are used when you want a J2EE application or a J2SE application to directly connect to XI.

Regards

Bhavesh

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Priya,

First, there are 2 kinds of proxies, Java and ABAP.

ABAP Proxies are used to integrate SAP systems with XI. To understand when to use proxies and when use RFC Adapter / idocs to integrate with XI, this blog would surely help,

<a href="/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/08/14/choose-the-right-adapter-to-integrate-with-sap-systems">Choose the Right Adapter to integrate with SAP systems</a>

Just remember that ABAP proxies can be used only with SAP systems on WAS 6.20 and higher.

><i>I heard that when it is between applications, we use proxies and between business systems, we use adapters. What do you exactly mean by Applications and business systems.</i>

Incorrect Info...

SAP systems on WAs 6.20 or higher have a local integration engine running and so they can use the Native XI protocol to talk to XI and so it is referred to as Adapter less communication.

Regards

Bhavesh