cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI and SDM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

When we deploy the WebDynpro Project to the Web AS, it needs the SDM Password. Is that each developer needs to know SDM password? It seems not secure to every developer know SDM password.

We're considering setting up NWDI. Do we still need to know the SDM password if we use NWDI? We know that we can setup Testing WebAS Server and Production WebAS Server in the NWDI architecture. Is that we only need to know Testing WebAS Server SDM password?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It depends on the way you use NWDI. If every developer has a local test system, you do not need to provide the SDM password. But if you have only one central DEV system, it is best to provide the SDM password to every developer as mentioned. In that situation they only need to know the SDM password of the DEV system.

Regards,

Christophe

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sddharth,

Few questions...

1. Having a developer workplace installed how can you access R/3.

This is no problem. For webdynpro all you require is a technical system created in the SLD of dev workplace and relevant JCO destinations created in WD Content Admin.

Would there not be any settings required on the central R/3 system to accept connections from a J2EE instance?? Then how can R/3 distinguish between a authorised and unautorised local installation?

How would ESS MSS applications work. They would need SSO and there would be no point i configring SSO on R/3 central instance for each and every local installation.

your coments please..

regards

Sam

regards

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jurjen de Vries,

I recommend developers setting up Netweaver Developer Workplace on their local machines when using NWDI. This way they can test changes on their local machines before deploying (errors) to DEV.

In case the developers have "Netweaver Developer Workplace on their local machines" how can you test changes that require access to the R/3. Like the other day I was trying to set up OVS search help for my web dynpro application and I had to check in more than 20 activities to have it working, just because the client did not want to spell out the SDM password even on the development environment. And also you cannot even debug your applications without SDM password.

The only thing that can be an issue if a SDM password is given out is, the system might slow down if there are too many developers in the debug mode.

SAP should spell out their stand on this issue. Becuase it never says not to let out the SDM password, but it also gives a local installation option.

regards

Sammer

Message was edited by:

sameer chilama

sid-desh
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Sameer,

I will try to answer some of the questions that you have raised.

1. Having a developer workplace installed how can you access R/3.

This is no problem. For webdynpro all you require is a technical system created in the SLD of dev workplace and relevant JCO destinations created in WD Content Admin.

2. When too many developers start debugging the system slows down due to the fact that an application being debugged blocks a particular server node. Incase there are many developers you should think abt increasing the server nodes. Again this depends on the hardware of your machine. This is one of the many reasons why each dev should ahve a dev workplace. That way the dev can debug and play around on their servers and then finally deploy on development box. But as has been pointed out correctly this requires heavy developer machines also.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sidharth

Former Member
0 Kudos

You dont need the SDM password as developer when NWDI is set up.

SDM password is configured in runtime system settings in NWDI (in CMS if I'm not mistaking). Make sure automatic deployment is enabled for DEV.

Each developer then just needs a user with NWDI Developer Role.

This way when they activate their changes, they will get deployed without needing to know SDM password.

I recommend developers setting up Netweaver Developer Workplace on their local machines when using NWDI. This way they can test changes on their local machines before deploying (errors) to DEV.

Former Member
0 Kudos

True.

But a local application server is not always possible because it requires heavy workstations. And as Sidharth already mentioned, you do not want to activate your activities every time you need to test a little change. So if you do not have a server installed on every workstation you need to provide your developers with the SDM password.

Regards,

Christophe

sid-desh
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

If you deploy from your NWDS you will have to provide the SDM password to each developer. If you have NWDI setup then you can mention the SDM password in the runtime system configuration for each track.

However as a developer i know that for every change/fix you make you cannot check-in the activity/activate and release/import and then test the object.

Hence my suggestion would be to have a dev/sandbox system for which provide the SDM password to each developer and mention the SDM password of test and production system in the track.

This would be a much faster way i believe.

Regards

Sidharth