cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR service 'sapmsDT4' unknown

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I am trying to Create some JCO connections but when I test them I get this error:

com.sap.mw.jco.JCO$Exception: (102) RFC_ERROR_COMMUNICATION: Connect to message server host failed Connect_PM TYPE=B MSHOST=dt4tdc00 GROUP=SPACE R3NAME=DT4 MSSERV=sapmsDT4 PCS=1 ERROR service 'sapmsDT4' unknown TIME Tue Jan 23 22:24:43 2007 RELEASE 700 COMPONENT NI (network interface) VERSION 38 RC -3 MODULE ninti.c LINE 530 DETAIL NiPGetServByName2: service 'sapmsDT4' not found SYSTEM CALL getservbyname_r COUNTER 2

I know that this kind of error is all over sdn and that there are multiple threads where they basically tells you to go to /etc/services (windows: %WINDIR%/system32/drivers/etc) and create the right entry but this is not my case.

The entry on the service file is there and I have run SAPPCADM to updated.

For some reason the entry on the service file is:

sapmsDT4 8126/tcp # meerwarth

I wonder why the port is not the default 32XX

The strange part is that even if I rename the service file, I still get the same error. I was expecting to get a different one really saying something like the file "service" did not exist..

On the Technical system I added up the port I am using is 32XX where XX=system number. In my scenario the J2EE server is running on the R/3 box.

Any ideas what is missing here.

Thanks in advance,

Diego.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

tim_buchholz
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Diego,

there are a couple of ports that an SAP system will use. The port range 32XX is used by the dispatchers of SAP instances, range 33XX is normally reserved for the gateway. XX is replaced by the instance number. The port sapms<SID> is used by the message server and <SID> is the system ID, which is DT4 in your case and most often uses the 36xx range. I assume that you have specified the port somewhere in the profiles (e.g. ms/port or j2ee/ms/port). You could use a number there to bypass the resolving of sapmsDT4 into a service. One simple program which comes from SAP is niping. If you run it like this

niping -v -S sapmsDT4

you will be able to see if the service name can be resolved. If you are sure to have entered it into the %WINDIR%/system32/drivers/etc/services try adding a blank line at the end and/or storing the file in UNIX file format.

Best Regards,

Tim

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

After changing the '/etc/services' file , you need to log off and login in windows for the change to take effect.

On UNIX , probably you need to restart the inetd daemon or best option is to reboot.

Regards,

Siddhesh