cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which version of Axis is included in SAP NW Java EE5?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm the architect for SAP xMII Connectivity and have been working with Microsoft technologies for over 10 years and web services on/off for the past 2. My primary work has been using Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) against Axis2 and Sun WSIT, but I am now investigating the WS capabilies of the new SAP Java DevStudio.

When I began to play with the latest SAP NW Dev Studio, the WS client wizard showed Axis as the selected WS runtime. Is this Axis 2, and if so, what version is this specifically? If this is Axis2, will the NW environment support the deployment of a custom Axis2 transport?

Thanks in advance for any response,

Bob DeRemer

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Boris-Mohr
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Look here:

[original link is broken] [original link is broken]

Regards,

Boris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Boris,

Thanks for the response. I will check out the Java specs to see what WS-* specs are covered by these. I'll also continue to play around with my WCF service - to see what the NWDS can do and what it can't.

Regards,

Bob

0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

The Java EE 5 edition that is available for download supports only plain JEE5.

SAP has it's own implementation of a Web Services stack, this is why Axis is not available. As for the supported standards - our current focus is the JEE 5 compatibility. We also have WS-Addressing, WS-Security and WS-ReliableMessaging implementations, but they are not available in the preview version.

The compatibility with .NET is ensured by regular interop sessions for the above 3 standards. So you can be sure that as soon as the WS-RM Functionality is officially released, it will be fully compatible with .NET's latest creation.

Unfortunately i cannot tell you when this will hapen, perhaps somewhere mid of this year. The main focus is the JEE5 compatibility, and therefore, the integration with the protocol implementations will come in the second run.

Regards, Vladimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vladimir,

Thank you for your informative reply. This is exactly what I wanted to know. I look forward to the final version. Also, is there any chance - since I'm just another internal development group - that I can get access to stable development builds that do have the WS implementations? I'm not looking to build product with this. I just need to experiment with the SAP Java WS stack and .NET WCF interop.

Regards,

Bob

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

Indeed, SAP NWDS in Java EE 5 Edition is based on Eclipse 3.2 and WTP 1.5, which supports Apache Axis 1.3 (see <a href="http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/jst/components/ws/index.html">here</a>). Searching the eclipse site I found some plans for integrating Axis2 into WTP 2.0 (<a href="http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Meetings_for_Integrating_Axis2_into_WTP">here</a>).

However, please note that the SAP Server in Java EE 5 Edition does not support the Apache Axis Web service runtime. You can use it with the SAP NetWeaver runtime and this is the default configuration when you start the WS wizard.

HTH!

-Vladimir

PS: I'm also moving this thread to the dedicated "Java EE 5 @ SAP" forum.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys,

Thank you for the quick response. This has started to clarify things, but also generates some more questions as I dig deeper.

I am trying to determine what the WS-* capabilities of the SAP NWDS Java EE5 are. When I saw the Axis runtime, I thought that might answer the question - becauseI know what Axis 2 is capable of.

Since Axis 1.3 is quite old in terms of WS stacks, can you direct me to any documentation that provides details on what web service capabilities are available when developing WS clients as well as services in SAP NWDS Java EE5? Specifically, what WS specs does the NW WS stack support (i.e. WS-Addressing, WS-Security, WS-SecureConversation, WS-ReliableMessaging, etc.)? I'm trying to determine the minimal level of interop I can expect between my Microsoft-based WCF service and a NWDS WS client.

Thanks again,

Bob

Boris-Mohr
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

look in the NWDS ---> Help ---> About NetWeaver Developer Stuido ---> Configuration Details:

I found here something about axis 1.3

Regards,

Boris