Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP R/3 Database copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

We have a scenario like below:

We have the regular landscape like production, quality and development for SAP R/3 as well as BW. What happened was they have deleted all the master data and transaction data from quality R/3 system some time back.So, our R/3 QA system is empty right now. But we would like to copy some 6 months worth of data from Production R/3 system to quality R/3 system. Could you guys suggest us any of the options we could do this? Our SAP R/3 system is on 4.7 version and BW system is on 3.5. I don't know where to post this question since it is a basis question.If you guys know of any options, let me know otherwise direct me to the right forum.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP has come up with a product called TDMS(Test Data Migration Server ) which can be used to create non productive systems with reduced transactional data. Usually a productive system is the source system and a QA system is the target system. TDMS is an R/3 addon.By using this you can do a Selective data transfer(data refresh) to you QA system.

Otherwise you have to do a full database refresh from the production system.

Regards,

Cherry

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

There is no direct way to get 6 months old day until & unless you have a backup of the QA system..

Also you mentioned that you hv R/3 & BW system.. that means you have to refresh your BW system too..

You hv the option of TDMS although very tedius..

It would be good if you recommend the customer to refresh your R/3-QA with full-blown production system.. and then do init & delta load for BW-QA system..

Regards

Madhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Looks like Cherry is on to something, but this is an additionally licensed product? It is released for 4.6 (DMS 2005 is supporting R/3 4.6C, 4.7/110, 4.7/200, and ERP04 (ECC5.0)) - see the FAQ link on the page Cherry offered.

I'm not sure what this costs - this is new information to me - thanks Cherry!.

ASRao, if you've only deleted the client dependent data you stated - master and transaction - you could also get away with a client export of PRD, but I'm not aware of a way to delimit the time frame with the given SAP CC profiles. This would be faster than a system refresh from PRD to QA, but you need to be sure that all you want to do is refresh the client dependent components.

Good luck.

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As suggested by Cherry, TDMS is the best option for this case. TDMS is a tool designed to copy data from a productive environment to a non-productive environment (QA, Dev etc). Using TDMS, it is very much possible to limit the transactional data to the last six months. However the current version of TDMS (TDMS05 is generally available while TDMS06 is still in the ramp-up) supports only R3 systems and not BW systems.

You can find more about TDMS at one of the following links.

Service Marketplace

http://service.sap.com/customdev-tdms

SAP Homepage

http://www.sap.com/services/customdev/tdms

Regards,

Avinash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Avinash,

Is TDMS also applicable for 46B version of SAP R3?

regards,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

please excuse me for the late response.

TDMS does not support the 46B version officially. it is for release 46C and above.

Best regards,

Avinash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.

Another option is to export the prod system via SAPINST and rebuild QA with the export. This will give you an identical replica of the PRD environment - both client dependent and independent, with out the logical system cleanup tasks associated with a database copy.

I'm not sure how you will only copy 6 months of data - you can script that I assume, but is seems an odd requirement. Possibly, you can archive this data out of QA as a practice run.