Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with SSF and changing certificate?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we want to store encrypted data in the database using the SSF API with certificates (TripleDES, sapcryptolib). Our customer wants the possibility to decrypt this data.

What happens if the certificate gets invalid because of the expired date because of a CRL (Certificate Revocation List - I don't actually know if SAP uses such lists).

Is there a possibility to decrypt the data even if the certificate is invalid?

What do we have to do with the data when a certificate gets invalid?

Regards

Georg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Georg,

The decryption uses your private key only. As long as your private key is not thrown away, you can decrypt this data. This has nothing to do with certificates! Certificates are only used for encryption, not decryption.

SAPCryptoLib does not implement CRL checking. You will have to use the Secude Library (the SAPCryptoLib is slimmed down version of the Secude Library) if you want/need CRL checking.

Do you want to use smart cards? That seems logical given your security needs.

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Georg,

The decryption uses your private key only. As long as your private key is not thrown away, you can decrypt this data. This has nothing to do with certificates! Certificates are only used for encryption, not decryption.

SAPCryptoLib does not implement CRL checking. You will have to use the Secude Library (the SAPCryptoLib is slimmed down version of the Secude Library) if you want/need CRL checking.

Do you want to use smart cards? That seems logical given your security needs.

0 Kudos

Hello Sietze,

I know the concepts of public key encryption and decryption.

Imagine the following scenario:

You have a pair of keys (private key and public key). With your public key you encrypt documents and you store them in your database. Now your public key gets invalid, so you cannot encrypt anymore with this key (or can you even if it gets invalid because of the date? I have to try this.). Now you have to throw away this old public key and get another one (and another private key because you need a pair). With the new private key you cannot decrypt the data you have stored in the database because it is encrypted with the old public key.

0 Kudos

Even if your public key becomes invalid (how?) or lost, your private key is still functioning. You never throw away a private key! This only becomes a problem if your private key gets lost. This is usually solved by storing the private key in a secure place so it can be recovered. Most PKI's can do this. Look for something like key history....

After a compromise, you will have to re-encrypt anything. You will have to write a function that does this.

0 Kudos

Hello Sietze,

I have another question concerning the secude library and CRL checking (our customer does not want smart cards but wants to have CRL checking).

If we decide to use the secude library, what consequences do we have to consider (license costs; switching from cryptolib to secude library)?

What other functionality is covered by the secude library?

Regards

Georg

0 Kudos

For the license costs you have to contact Secude Sales in your country (for Germany, this will be Darmstadt). You'll have to look for contact details on the website. I am in Consulting and cannot tell you anything about license costs.

The SAP Cryptolib is a slimmed down version of the SECUDE libarary, so this is more or less a drop in replacement (in this direction only, of course).

SNC would be the major other functionality to consider.