cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I check the oracle client version?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

How do I check the oracle client version installed from the OS level. I do know my database version I need to check which client is being used. Is there a table where this information is stored.

Thanks

Shabna

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

as siadm run the command

ldd dboraslib.xx ( xx can be 'so' or 'sl' depending on you kernel)

this will tell you what client library is being picked up

On Kernel version 6.40 and above you can also point to the client you want via parameter

SHLIB_PATH ( this is for hp-ux, for other i think it is lib_path , you will get that on oss)

thanks

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks All for all your replies, the only conclusion from all this discussion is there is no direct way of finding out which client, rather to look up where from the library is read. Therefore, since my library path variable is pointing to the 9.2.0.7 client that is the client.

And V$VERSION table gives the database version and any of the other ways like disp+work, sm51, st02 all give the database versions.

I am sure about this because I have verified this with a system which 10.2.0.2 using 9.2.0.7 client.

Thanks a bunch

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

same waas alredy discussed in the SAP WEB as general

you can find in st04-> detailed analysis menu->display V$ values->V$VERSION

Samrat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I am sorry I should have been more specific. I had gone through the thread you mentioned. st04 gives the database version and not the oracle client version.

For instance, I have another system with database 10.2.0.2 but running on 9.2.0.4 client. ST04 on this system shows 10.2.0.2 that is it is giving the database version.

Any other ideas.

Thanks

Shabna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Log on to Oracle database with SQLPLUS

Execute the following query

select '&&_O_VERSION' as "Oracle Client Version" from dual;

Regards,

Ammey Kesarkar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks but this does not give the version that is installed rather the version that should be.

I have a R/3 system upgraded to Oracle 10.2.0.2 but the client is 9.2.0.7.

Still the query select '&&_O_VERSION' as "Oracle Client Version" from dual;

returns the following:

SQL> select '&&_O_VERSION' as "Oracle Client Version" from dual;

old 1: select '&&_O_VERSION' as "Oracle Client Version" from dual

new 1: select 'Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

With the Partitioning and Data Mining options' as "Oracle Client Version" from dual

Oracle Client Version

-

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

With the Partitioning and Data Mining options

There is no mention of 9.2.0.7, and I am sure about the client because I am the one who upgraded the Oracle

Thanks though,

Shabna

Message was edited by:

Shabnam