cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDM Error when Deploying Web Dynpro Application

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have built the example Welcome Web Dynpro application and received an error when I deployed it. I made sure that WebAS & SDN were running. I also set the SAP J2EE Engine preference property to match my server. The error I got suggests there is a preference property needed for the SDM Engine, but I did not have one listed anywhere in the workspace Preferences menu.

I am using NW Dev Studio version 2.0.9. Does anyone know what the following error is coming from?

Mar 2, 2005 4:26:00 PM /userOut/deploy (com.sap.ide.eclipse.sdm.threading.DeployThreadManager) [Thread[Deploy Thread,5,main]] ERROR:

[001]Deployment aborted

Deployment exception : Cannot determine sdm host (is empty). Please configure your engine/sdm correctly !

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Knight,

As you have described it seems ok. But from the error i can say that you have specified SAP J2EE engine ip or port incorrectly in Preferences, or WAS server is not in running state. Just check J2EE engine's state from the J2EE engine panel in NW. And also check that all the instances are in running mode.

Regards,

Bhavik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Knight,

as Bhavik said, it seems to be problem with your J2EE engine's setting. Check whether its running or not. You can check it in J2EE engine view of ur NWDS. If its not running then start it from SAP Management Console (shortcut should be in your desktop). If the shortcut is not there in your desktop then run C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe. This should start the J2EE engine instance and if you have made correct entries in J2EE engine settings everything should be fine.

Regards,

Shubhadip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Plz any one will explain in detail and steps what should be done to soleve this problem when deploying the exmaple Calculator.

2006-03-14 09:11:55 /userOut/deploy (com.sap.ide.eclipse.sdm.threading.DeployThreadManager) [Thread[Deploy Thread,5,main]] ERROR:

[003]Deployment aborted

Deployment exception : Cannot determine sdm host (is empty). Please configure your engine/sdm correctly !

I have the following questions:

-Does j2ee engine come with NW or do we have to install it separetly , if so wherefrom

- How can I se the j2ee engine from the menu

- the local host fields in window - preferences in uneditable , how can i made dem editable.

Best regrads

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Knight,

I was having the same problem with NWDS 2.0.11. Thats how I ended up here on this forum.

This is what I did to fix the problem:

1. Go to Window->Preferences->SAP J2EE Engine

2. Select SAP Engine Installed on local host

3. Select a valid local engine installed, this is the one that you chose at the time of installation. In my case I have two installed J2E and XIE (I choose this name you will have a different name). If I have J2E selected I get the same error but when I switch to XIE it works.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To add on Ghosh,

check your server in NWDS (Windows ->prefferences->J2EE Enginee if it is down right click on J2E instance00 your server name and start your server if it not showing green signal (this maily dependes on where the server is installed local or remote/do u have access to server means have you set correct host and port number of your server

Let me know if you face any further problem

RK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone. I thought the message server was on, but when I verified this it was not on. I think this helped but I still get the same error I listed above.

I have configured the J2EE engine to connect to 3601. The J2EE Engine tab shows that the Remote Engine is connected and I see green lights for both the dispatcher and server 0 instances.

Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK I see where the problem is now, but I do not know how to fix it.

In the J2EE Engine tab if I click on the server, I can scroll down and see SDM Port is set to 0.

How do I change this? I found an old document on NWDS that showed a preference property section for SDN settings, but I don't see those options in the version I have. (2.0.9)

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can find the SDM configuration file in \usr\sap\<system_id>\<instance no>\SDM\program\config with file name sdmrepository.sdc. In this file you will find your sdm host name and gui port number (default 50018). You change it from here and restart the server if its not set properly.

Regards,

Shubhadip

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shubhadip,

I looked at those settings and everything was correct including the listed SDM port number.

I think my problem is in NWDS because all settings within the J2EE and SDM are set up properly. I do my development on NWDS locally and connect to a remote server for deployment.

The J2EE Engine tab in NWDS shows green lights, but the SDM port on server0 is set to 0.

How do I change this setting within NWDS?

Former Member
0 Kudos

window > preferences > SAP J2EE Engine

If you don't see it there, you can't change it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are looking at the wrong issue. The SDM Port of your server is always going to be 0. The only time the SDM port is going to be active is when you look at the actual SDM component of that server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok that makes sense. Unfortunately, I still do not know what to do to fix my deployment exception error when I try to deploy within NWDS.

"Deployment exception : Cannot determine sdm host (is empty). Please configure your engine/sdm correctly !"

SDM and WAS are both running. I see green lights in the J2EE Engine tab in NWDS for Dispatcher and server0 (Only two listed).

What is causing the error to occur for me?

Thanks, Erin

Former Member
0 Kudos

You should see the SDM, the dispatcher and the server0 node under the J2EE engine.

Do you have access to the Server?

Go to the Management console, select your serve node, expand instance 0 and look at the process table, you should have dispatcher / server0 and SDM nodes with their states set as started.

It might be the case that your SDM was kept in standalone mode and not started with your server. to fix this, you need to browse to your SDM on the server

c:\usr\sap\<INS>\JC00\SDM\program

( INS is your instance )

run

sdm jstartup "mode=integrated"

restart your cluster.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As a test, you might want to run the remotegui.bat file that is available in that path as well, just to make sure that your SDM is up and running correctly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tomas. I have access to the server, but I do not seem to have the Management Console on the machine. Is there a place I can download it?

Also, I ran the test of running the remotegui.bat file and was able to log onto the SDM from there. So I guess SDM is running? If so, I don't know why it is not appearing in the J2EE Engine tab.

Thanks!

Erin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erin,

The management console is installed by default by the SAP server, it's strange that you don't see it.

There is an icon in my desktop mapped to

C:\WINNT\system32\mmc.exe "C:/WINNT\SAPMMC.MSC"

( this assumes you are in the windows world )

There are two modes for the SDM, one is standalone deployment and one is integrated into the server. Hence that "mode=integrated" command I gave you above.

At some point during the installation process, the SDM can be set to integrated mode and doesn't start up with the server.

But from your description, it seems that your SDM is up and running. Check if you can run the MMC by the command given above.

If you can login to the SDM, you should be able to deploy into it unless you have it mapped to another port.

Are you using Central and distributed instances?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tomas,

I tried that and did not find the management console. I also did a search for sapmmc.msc and could not find it. The machine is a Windows machine too.

I don't understand your question about central and distributed instances. Is there any easy way for me to find this?

Thanks for all of your help with this.

-Erin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erin,

since you wrote in a previous post: "I do my development on NWDS locally and connect to a <b>remote</b> server for deployment." it's consequent, that you don't have a management console available on your local machine.

If you would have one, it would belong to a locale J2EE engine installation and not to the remote one you are trying to deploy to. The most interesting view/tool in your scenario is the J2EE engine view in the NWDS (which is something like an integrated mini-MMC).

Did you have a local engine running before and deinstalled it leaving the NWDS installed?

Regards, Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

I did check on the remote server for the management console, not on my local instance. The local machine with NWDS has never had a local engine running either.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

-Erin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erin,

The reason I ask if there is a central or distributed instance is as follows:

You can install a central instance of a server, and then create mirrors of it using distributed instances. This can be done for load balancing or other purposes. If I remember correctly, pointing to a slave ( non-central ) instance will show the server and dispatcher, but not the actual SDM. ( If your central instance defaults to port 50000, chances are that your messaging port is 3601, then port 50200 maps to 3603, if all the port defaults were used). If you are trying to deploy to a mirror, it obviously won't have an SDM on it.

But it seems weird that you are able to login to the remoteGUI file, if you are pointing to the same server, this means that the SDM is up and running. Have you tried deploying your ear files into the SDM and seeing if the actually pop up?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Erin,

is the Message Server Port right - in the NWDS Preferences for SAP J2EE Engine

you find this Information in the Configuration File

...\usr\sap\<id>\<inst>\SDM\program\sdmrepository.sdc

<JStartup-Configuration active="true">

<mshost>

myhost

</mshost>

<b><msport></b>

<b></msport></b>

Regards

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I was busy with work. I fixed my problem, but I am not quite sure how. I re-installed NWDS and had no problems this time. Thanks to everyone for all of their help with this!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm afraid I'm having this problem as well on version 2.0.9 i.e. when deploying a webdp I get error message:

"Cannot determine sdm host (is empty). Please configure your engine/sdm correctly !"

In Windows-preferences-sapj2eeengine, the only parms I can fill are message server and message port. I'm sure these are correct as I can deploy par files successfully.

Also if I access the server I can run SDM without a problem and at deploy time from nwds, sdm is running.

Our portal runs on port 80 and not 50000 whereas sdm is on 50018 and message server on 3601. Don't know if this has an impact re. the mapping comment above.

Has anyone got a solution other than reinstalling NWDS and hoping for the best?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mr.T

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hullo Tahir,

Were you able to find a solution to this?

rakshit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nope....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Has anyone got a solution for this problem other than reinstalling NWDS.

Your help at the earliest is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Namadev Chillal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I found solution. You should use port 39xx instead of 36xx (where xx - SCS instance number).

Regards,

Saulius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot, you saved my day

former_member205363
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am also facing same problem, like in J2EE Engine I am able to see only dispatcher,Server0 and Server1 as green but not able to see SDM.

Could you tell me where the issue?

If I connect to other host, SDM is visible and deployment also going fine, this means from NWDS there is no issue. I am changing only host and port. Do I need to change any other properties. or where exactly issue is?

Thanks in advance.

TLN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

If your portal is running on 5XX00 then try with message port as 36(XX1) or 39(XX1) depending on version of your J2ee Engine.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Switching from 3601 to 3901fixed it for me too. Thanks alot