Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi MDM gurus,

why we use MDM??

wat r the advantages of MDM and disadavantages of MDM? please explain me clearly

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

For a functional overview of SAP NetWeaver MDM, see https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/developerareas/mdm.

SAP NetWeaver MDM features the following capabilities:

- Data Extraction: Extract master data on a logical object level from a client system

- Data Transformation: Transform structure and content (values) during import and syndication of master data

- Data Cleansing: Normalize and standardize information

- Data Enrichment: Complement data to achieve complete and meaningful master data (for example, using 3rd party services)

- De-Duplication: Match and merge objects to eliminate ambiguous and redundant data

- Key Mapping: Provide cross-system identification to ensure enterprise-wide data quality

- Data Validation: Ensure compliance according to defined criteria

- Data Modeling: Provide the environment for creating and extending data models for object repositories

- Data Distribution – Distribute centrally consolidated master data on object level to client systems with delta handling

- Publishing: Enable multi-channel publishing (for example, publish product data in printed catalogs or Web catalogs).

Hope this helps,

-Annika .

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanx annika

i didnt understand wat is cleansing,duplication,key mapping,data validation can u explain me clearly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

This SAP MDM primarily applicable for any Master data unification from any source system. Here we go for your clarifications...

De-Duplication : removal of duplicate/redundant data, not only delete we can merge two similar records based on some condition....it can be done for two different records from two different source system.

Key mapping : Just an identification the records from which source system, it will be very useful when we send the data back to the Source system.

Data Validation : Validating a record for certain criteria for example checking for all Manufactures available in particular country having Uniques identification code like that.....

Hope this might helps...

thanks

Alexander

P.S. kindly reward the points, if found helpful....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj ,

Giving examples for better understanding .

cleansing - Removing the non useful or very common things like Corp , AB , GMBH , comma , dots , etc .

duplication - If two records matches on certain parameters like name , address , VAT no , then merge them . These 2 records can be of diff systems or sometimes from same system as well .

key mapping - Source System is in the key to identify and also in harmonisation .

data validation - Forcing certain things to be added exclusively ( quite important ) .

Hope this clarifies ,

- Annika .

Sorry Alexander - by the time I opened for reply , the last post was of Raj . By the time I submitted my reply, I seen your reply as well .

Message was edited by:

Annika

Former Member
0 Kudos

wat r the key topics that we use in real time

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj ,

Key Things will be used among these are :

Data Extraction , Data Transformation, Data Cleansing , De-Duplication , Key Mapping, Data Validation, Data Distribution

Key Topics are Consolidation , Harmonisation and Central Data Management .

Key things of MDM are MDM Console , MDM Import manager , MDM DataManager , MDM Syndicator .

Some useful Links are :

MDM Console -- http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdmgds55/helpdata/en/88/9f9c427055c66ae10000000a155106/frameset.htm

MDM Import manager --http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdmgds55/helpdata/en/43/120367f94c3e92e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

MDM DataManager --http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdmgds55/helpdata/en/43/e0615a82b40a2ee10000000a11466f/frameset.htm

MDM Syndicator --http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdmgds55/helpdata/EN/43/5fe0e8a55f5f6be10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

Hope this helps ,

- Annika .

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

srinivasarao_kambala4
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Difference between Immediate and Update Indices in MDM Console? How to Use?

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please check the links provided above by An. Everythings explained in there. Regarding your question:

Even when you choose Load -> Immediate, MDM automatically updates those indices that it knows to be out of date as a result of changes you make to the MDM repository data through the MDM Client. However, when you modify the structure of the repository itself through the MDM Console, MDM cannot know precisely which indices need to be updated. In these cases, you should choose Update Indices rather than Immediate when you load the repository.

srinivasarao_kambala4
Active Participant
0 Kudos

What is MDM Server diiference between MDM Repository?

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

MDM Server is the main MDM component that must be running in your system landscape. A MDM Repository is kind of a container consisting of the data model, real data, import and syndication maps, workflows, etc.