cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GUI 640 patch level 20 FAILS

Former Member
0 Kudos

After updating our application server from patch level 18 to level 20 I have tried to install the GUI on machines and am having two issues.

1) When Auto Update goes to update the workstation, there is a continuous loop of prompting:

<i></i>A newer version of SAPLogon.exe is available on the installation source. Would you like to update first?<i></i>

2) After the progress bar completes,an error stating taht the Setup Wizard did not complete says that these 3 files are missing on the installation source.

ab3editde.chm

keyboardcontrolen.pdf

keyboardcontrolde.pdf

When I go to verify what patch level has been installed, patch level 18 is installed. I followed the SAP Front End Installation Guide step by step during the patch upgrade.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - This is really my first time even dealing SAP in any regaurd so please bare with me.

Thanks,

Jasen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are not installing the newest patches; 21, 22, or 23 because of testing purposes. Once they are tested they will be implemented.

I apologize, what I meant by AS was the Front-End server. I had applied the patch(level 20) to the Front-End server. This afternoon after applying the setup patch and attempting to install the GUI on a new machine I received the same error as before. .PDF & .CHM files are missing and patch level 18 is installed on the workstation. The goal is to have patch level 20 on all workstations.

When the SAPGUI is opened after the failed installation there is a prompt that a more recent version of the GUI is available on the installation server. When I chose to upgrade to that version the installation simply cycles through itself again ending with the same errors that happen in the first place, .CHM & .PDF files are missing.

Has anybody seen this before? It seems so trivial.

Needless to say, the setup patch was applied and then the GUI patch was applied and I am still at square 1.

Any further advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jasen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wow Rich, thanks for the quick response. That is actually part of my confusion. The AS does state that patch level 20 is installed via SAPAdmin. After attempting to install the GUI on a workstation the installation produces an error that the .pdf & .chm files are missing. The GUI is still functional, but the previous patch level (18 in this case) is the level that is actually being installed. That is when I start going in circles.

Jasen

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I'm a little confused. The patch level of the AS(Application Server) is irrelevant. We are only dealing with the gui. Really you should not install any SAPgui patch unless it is the latest and greatest. In this case 18, is not. You should actually download the patch 22 or 23, which ever is available from the link provided above.

Run the setup patch, then run the gui patch. All should be well.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rich-

Thanks for the suggestion. I will surely attempt to apply the setup patch. Unfortunately I will not be able to do so until Sunday 1/21. I will let you know what the results are.

You stated that the setup patch(setup640_23-10001516.exe) should be applied first. I have applied the patch update(GUI640_20-10001615.exe) prior to doing this and have since tried to uninstall the patch update without any luck. Are you aware of a procedure to do so? If not I will go ahead and apply the setup patch and cross my fingers.

Thanks again for you help,

Jasen

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

The gui patch installation never completed normally, yes? It still says patch 18 right? If so, then no problem, run the setup patch first, then run the gui patch. No need to try to uninstall anything.

Regards,

Rich Heilman

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

You may need the setup patch as well. Have you ran the setup patch yet? It can be download from the same place as the gui patch on service.sap.com

Regards,

Rich Heilman

Message was edited by:

Rich Heilman

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

It appears that you can get it from here

ftp://ftp.sap.com/pub/sapgui/win/640/patches/

You want the file setup640_23-10001615.exe

You also may want to go straight to gui patch 22, you can get it here also, file name gui640_22-10001615.exe.

Run the setup patch first, then the gui patch.

Regards,

Rich Heilman