cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn OFF printer banner page when printing from SAP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

When printing from SAP, after each document that is printed out, an extra 'banner page' prints out. (I am not certain what the actual name for this is). The information on the banner page (or separator page) contains the ouput job number, the SAP server the document was printed from, and so on. This extra page is causing a lot of paper waste, as an extra page prints off with each document (for example, Bill of Lading or Picklist) that is printed out.

What is this called and how do you turn this option OFF? Solution is urgent!! Please assist!

We have searched in transaction SPAD, and have not found the answer yet.

Thanks, T.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your quick response. However, the end sheet continues to print out after each document printed. I went into the print selection screen and selected the "no cover sheet" option before printing the output, yet a sheet following what I printed still printed out. The sheet contains the date, job number of output, SAP server output was printed from and user that printed the output. Just to test, I turned on the cover page option, and a different SAP cover sheet printed before the document while the 'banner' or separator page came out after it....is there a place where a separator page could be turned on/off?

Any other thoughts/suggestion?

Thanks,

T

christian_wohlfahrt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Never heard of an (automatic) end page. Let's make some tests for the origin:

Make an output with a local printer (the way where SAP sends data to your PC, there an additional window starts and uses your default windows printer). If the banner page is still printed, then it's maybe really something from SAP - to be sure, compare with a windows (word, excel, whatever) printout via the same printer.

If no banner page is printed for local printers, then it can be some extra page added by network printing installation - some printserver might be configured in this way. At least it's something printer specific, but I don't know of any attributes in SPAD per printer.

christian_wohlfahrt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi T!

Glad I could help you - just being curios, what was the problem?

Thanks (for the points)

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

After going through each scenario you described to try and pinpoint the root of the mysterious ‘banner sheets’ you were right that an extra page was added by the network printing installation. After exhausting the SAP steps, I found that this issue was indeed tied directly to the printer. However, after the banner page only followed the page when output was printed from SAP and not locally from Word, Excel, etc., I learned how to view the TCP/IP printer’s network settings by typing in the printer’s IP address in my windows internet explorer.

When connecting to the printer’s IP address: on internet explorer, I was able to see the printer’s configuration settings. By clicking on the configuration link on the left menu and selecting the “Networking” Tab, at the bottom of the screen there is an option for ‘LPD Banner Page.’ The current setting for this option was ‘enable.’ After investigating further, I found information that for the new HP printers (our type was HPLJ4200), the LPD option is set to ‘enable’ by default. Therefore, this option needs to be manually ‘disabled’ after the printer is set up. This is good for anyone to keep in mind in case you have new HP printers set up on your network.

Information I found stated that LPD stands for Line Printer Daemon protocol/Line Printer Remote protocol (or LPD, LPR) which is a set of programs that provide printer spooling and network print server functionality for Unix-like systems. A printer that supports LPD/LPR is sometimes referred to as a "TCP/IP printer" (TCP/IP is used to establish connections between printers and workstations on a network). A computer that implements the LPD service and thus can process print requested from LPR clients.

Thanks for your help!

T

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

christian_wohlfahrt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi!

Sounds like you have some 'cover sheets' - they would be in advance, but that's as near as I can imagine something right now.

How to get rid of cover sheets: in the printing dialog (any dialog, press the printer icon, the following popup) you can adjust properties (F6).

Here is a tree list, second last is cover page. Below this point settings for SAP Cover Page, OS Cover Sheet, Receiver and Department can be set. One of the possible values is D - System Admin default - looks like there is also a general default setting.

Test, if it's really cover page: make a print where you set this once manually to 'do not print'. In case of success you should have enough key words to search help.sap.com to find the system admin place.

Regards,

Christian