cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting client role in non-production systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

In our QA test systems of R/3 and BW, the client role in SCC4 was set to 'Production'. The reason I was given is that by setting the client role to 'Production', will enable some settings in FI such as period closing,and customizing settings remain open without transportable requests. I totally disagree with this. I worked on numerous projects, but this is first time I am hearing this. I always set client role to Test in non-production systems, without any problems. Do any one have any idea about this?

Thanks

Santosh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

I have worked in lots of projects as well and in all of them we always set the Production clients to the "Production" setting in scc4.

In the case of QA systems could be different since this client is just for testing and the restriction is not really necessary, at least that they want to use it as a real image of the PRD client.

Greetz!

Jessica.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your valuable replies. I appreciate it very much.

Sasm

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP have a concept of "current settings". These include things like exchange rates and other items which really appear to be configuration settings. In a non-modifiable system these cannot be changed because the transport management system tries to get involved. If the client is set to productive, this restriction is overridden.

I would always suggest that the QA system should be set to productive and non-modifiable to ensure that the behaviour of the transactions affecting such objects can be tested in a production-like environment. If you need to have your QA system open for any sort of changes you are exposed to having changes introduced in QA to leading to the impression that new/modified functionality or config works but when the transport takes the unmodified version to production you'll be in trouble.

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

Agree with you, Test role with no transports should do the job.

Regards,

Siddhesh