Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Push data into MDM

former_member343107
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Import manager is a way to push data into MDM server. Is there any alternative to push data automatically? Can we set up a background process to retrieve data from source system periodically? Or can we use MDM API to upload the data?

Thanks

Jerome

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jerome,

in addition to the already mentioned possibilities you may have a look at the ABAP APIs as well. To give you a more detailed suggestion it'd be helpful if you could explain which kind of data you want to push into MDM.

Kind regards

Michael

former_member343107
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your great suggestions. Our goal is to achieve the seamless data consolidation from ERP to MDM. The ideal solution would be completely automatic. Human intervention is involved only when there're some exceptions like "mathcing key found". Then the operator should decide whether to overwrite or merge the records. I'm not still sure whether ABAP or Java API powerful or efficient enough to do that. Any suggestions?

Best Regards

Jerome

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jerome:

You could do as follows:

1) Export all records from ERP into SAP MDM (along with the remote key)

2) Consolidate on MDM

3) Stablish an MDM XI Scenario to make an automatic connection from/into MDM/BackEnd

4) Validations, Human intervention and administration should be done only on SAP MDM. When something is changed on MDM, delta data is exported (using MDM Syndication Server), XI takes it and retrieves it into ERP.

I hope this helps

Alejandro

former_member343107
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Alejandro,

Thanks a lot. I have a couple of questions about this method:

1) In the MDM <-> XI <-> ERP scenario, is there any program in ERP can be used to retrieve the product master data? Can such a program handle delta change of master data?

2) Is MDM API suitable for data importing? I only found a relevant class "CreateRecordCommand" in API javadoc. I suspects that it's proper to import data in a batch. Am I right?

Thanks + Best Regards

Jerome

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello:

1) SAP XI must take care of updating the other systems. On ERP there should be some RFCs that handle this. You configure XI to call those RFC and it will create the record. The same goes to MDM.

The analog for MDM Import Manager is MDM Syndicator. The latter exports data for XI to take and yes, it can be configured to export only delta Data.

Both Import/Syndicator have a Batch counterpart, as well as a Import/Syndicator Server for the same purpose.

2) In theory, you can use MDM Java/COM/ABAP API to import data. However, this is highly ineficient and error prone, besides, you would have to duplicate the logic already created on MDM Import Manager, this includes, among other things, Built-in format reading (i.e. import from Excel , access, etc). Matching records, Pivoting, etc.

Please take a look at the MDM Import Manager guide. You'll find that most of your needs will be covered. Plus, you can get the Import Manager to work in Batch too.

Regards

Alejeandro

former_member343107
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Alejandro, I'll take a look at the import manager batch.

Best Regards

Jerome

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jerome,

MDM SAP delivered standard uses the IDoc (ALE) technology for file transfer via XI. If it's sufficient for your scenario to use the standard, you'll receive a transaction in the ERP client that is able to send products from ERP via XI to MDM (can be both initial or delta dirstribution). Technically IDocs are sent to XI, transformed into an XML and put into a MDM port folder. The MDM Import Server is able to fetch the file and process it. Regarding your task to approve updates / changes you could trigger a workflow with the import map. Later on if you send data back to ERP, the process is similar. Use the syndicator / syndication server to send the product in an XML to XI. XI picks the files and transforms and forwards them as IDocs back to ERP.

Detailed information can be found in the <a href="http://service.sap.com/installmdm">MDM Documentation Center</a>.

Kind regards

Michael

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello:

Of course you could use Java API if you wanted. However, perhaps you ask because you don't see too useful having to involve a GUI (Import Manager) in a process that should be automatic.

In this case, you must use the MDM Import Server. What you should do is to do the first import using Import Manager, and save the Import Map. Afterwards, export that Import Map and set it to the Import Server

MDM Import Server is a way to push data automatically and runs as a background process that retrieves data periodically.

I hope this helps

Regards

Alejandro

KlausDavid
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

There are three Import programs coming with MDM.

1) Import Manager, you already know, how it works.

2) Import Server - You can use Import Server, which periodically looks in a direcory on a file-share (port definition) and if there are files there, picks them up and processes them.

3) Import Manager Batch - If you would like to perform a scheduled Import load (e.g. at midnight)., then the Import manager Batch is also an option.

Regards Klaus