cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading R/3 Enterprise 4.7 ASCII to ECC6 Unicode

Former Member
0 Kudos

What should be the most efficient upgrade path for 4.7 ASCII to ECC6 Unicode ? Can it be a direct upgrade without needing ASCII to Unicode conversion ? If not, should code page conversion be done at 4.7 before the upgrade or at ECC6 after the upgrade ?

Is there any useful SAP note that I can use on this matter ?

Thanks.

Satid S.

IBM Thailand

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

davy_brusselle2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello Satid,

Unicode conversion is possible starting from 4.7. So in fact, you have the choice: you can convert to unicode first and upgrade afterwards, or upgrade first and do the conversion last.

You are also not obliged to do the unicode conversion if you are upgrading to ECC6.0. (Exception: if you are currently using multiple code pages depending on the logon language -> a so called MDMP system). Please have a look at note 838402.

Personally, I would first go for the upgrade because the unicode conversion tools may have improved between version 4.7 (first unicode-enabled version) and ECC 6.0. You could also do them together. This has the advantage that you only have to run your test-scenario's once, but it will make things more complicated and your downtime could become unacceptable.

Best regards,

Davy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satid,

Have you seen the whitepapers that deal with codepage conversions? I don't think they deal specifically with the path from R/3 Enterprise to ECC 6.0, because they were released before ECC 6.0 was, but they probably have some useful information for you. It's available at http://service.sap.com/codepageconversion. Click the left-hand menu link for "Media Library" and four files (two PDFs, a PowerPoint, and a Word document) will appear for download.

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos

Hi Satid

Logging in to SAP Solutions on <a href="http://service.sap.com">service marketplace</a> and following the path down to

SAP NetWeaver

• SAP NetWeaver in Detail

• Solution Life-Cycle Management

• Upgrade Technology

• Upgrade - FAQ

you will find a section dedicated to Unicode which you might find helpful.

Question 2 links to a document <i>Unicode Conversion SAP R/3 4.6C -> SAP ERP Central Component 6.0 ABAP</i> describing a combined procedure.

HTH,

Thomas