cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to get Web Dynpro ABAP available in a ECC 5 - NW2004 env?

a_heut
Participant
0 Kudos

We will start developing an offline Adobe interactive form with email functionality for ECC 5 on very short terms. We have to decide asap what client/server configuration we will use for this new functionality. We will also develop an online interactive form and an offline form with upload/download functionality for ECC 5. We will have to setup a client/server configuration that supports all 3 scenario's.

The main reason we would like to have NW2004S available for ECC 5 is because we would like to develop the forms in Web Dynpro ABAP instead of Java. Guided Procedures is a "nice to have" too, but not really important at this moment.

At this moment we think we have 3 options:

1. Investigate if we can make an Adobe solution in WDA for ECC 5 with our current setup

2. Upgrade ECC 5 - NW 2004 -> NW 2004S to get WDA functionality available

3. Install ADS for NW 2004 to be able to create Adobe solutions in ECC 5, then we will have to develop in WDJ

1. We have the following configuration up and running: NW2004S - CRM 5 and ADS installed: both Java and ABAP stack work properly. We are wondering if we could develop an Adobe interactive form in Web Dynpro ABAP in CRM 5 using BAPI's to retrieve the data from ECC 5 and put it on the form for display or update purposes. Also we have questions about the email functionality: do forms have to be send by email via a mailserver from ECC 5 via CRM 5 and back or can this be done directly from and to ECC 5 or is it not possible at all? Also we don't know if we can develop an online interactive form for ECC 5 via CRM 5. The current setup is not a real option for us right now as we see far too many uncertainties. Does somebody can give us some answers on the possibilities we are looking for?

2. My assumption is that upgrading ECC5 to ECC6 can be compared with upgrading 46C to ECC5. If my assumption is correct, this would mean an upgrade project with a 6 months leadtime within our company. If my assumption is wrong, please let me know. This upgrade will happen some day, but it has not been planned for 2007. So unfortunately, for us this is not an option at the moment because we cannot wait that long. I was hoping an upgrade of NW2004 -> NW2004s was not that time consuming but I guess this can be compared with a SAP upgrade project like 46C -> ECC 5.

3. Installing Adobe Document Services for NW2004 is not our preferred solution but we think it is the safest/easiest solution at this moment to get started with Adobe interactive forms for ECC 5 on short terms. We will have to develop in Web Dynpro for Java, so be it.

WDA is not a must but if we can find a client/server setup which gives us the possibility to build in WDA for ECC 5 functionality, that would be great. That's why I dropped the question on SDN. I want to be sure we choose the best option possible at this moment for us.

kind regards

Angelique

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

a_heut
Participant
0 Kudos

Yesterday I got new information through SDN which sounds very interesting:

There are technical repository integration points between ECC and the underlying SAP NetWeaver release. To get Web Dynpro for ABAP, you could install a stand-alone SAP NetWeaver 2004s system (without ERP) side-by-side.

Somebody else wrote: we set up a 3-system landscape of NW04s and have configured single sign on and trusted RFC's so that users can hit the webdynpro pages via the portal, and those systems make the necessary queries to the backend systems via RFC.

Does somebody know if this stand-alone system could be a proper solution for our situation? Does somebody foresee any problems related to Adobe LiveCycleDesigner or ADS?

markus_meisl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Angelique

you can indeed install a stand-alone 2004s ABAP and Java stack (the latter with the ADS), build a Web Dynpro for ABAP app using a PDF form on this system, and retrieve the backend data from a lower-release ERP or R/3 using RFC. This RFC should work for all supported SAP R/3 / ERP systems.

As for the ADS, for many scenarios this is the only possible approach anyways (e.g. Web Dynpro for Java).

Best regards,

Markus Meisl

SAP NetWeaver Product Management

a_heut
Participant
0 Kudos

We want to develop an offline interactive scenario with email functionality. One of my colleagues tells me we will probably run into problems in this section because of the function modules that we have to use to get the email functionality to work. She expects we will have to build this all by ourselves instead of having it default available. Is this correct?

markus_meisl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not aware of any general issues with e-maiIing PDF forms.

In any case, with such a setup, everything you do (data retrieval, the application, the mailing out, routing the information back into the system) is custom development, because you use NetWeaver (the technology/development environment) for a custom scenario. To my knowledge, there are a only 2 scenarios in mySAP ERP 2005, which use the mailing facility with a PDF form.

Best

Markus