Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update of 640 kernel files fails

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am experiencing a rather strange situation here. I am on Windows 2003 server and MSSQL, running SAP R/3 4.7x200. I am trying to update the kernel files from kernel patch 80 to 154. After I stop SAP and SAPOSCOL and SAP<SID>_00 services, I successfully replace the kernel files in ...\exe\run. I then start the services again and then SAP in SAPMMC. This is where the strange behaviour happends. I have done the exact same kernel upgrade in a sandbox system earlier without any problems. When I start SAPGUI and log in successfully, and check the kernel version, it is still patch 80, and not 154 as expected! I then return to \exe\run, and discover that the files I previously had overwritten are back to the old files! I have done this three times now, and I have checked every file that I overwrite that it has the correct size and date.

It is quite urgent that we get this kernel upgrade in place, as we are in the process of upgrading our systems.

Have anyone else experienced something like this? Please let me know if you can help!

Regards,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Please check these:

1. Check the version of kernel 154. Run disp+work -version before update. Verify its 154.

2. Be sure if you are replacing the files in ..\usr\sap\<sid>\sys\exe\run

3. After replacing and before starting the system, verify the version of kernel

in above mentioned path using the command in step 1.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Srikishan

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Srikishan,

I have done as you asked.

In the new kernel files directory the disp+work.exe -version gives me 154.

I then copy & paste the kernel files into \usr\sap\SID\SYS\exe\run. I then run dispwork.exe -version on the dispwork.exe in \usr\sap\SID\SYS\exe\run, and once again I get version 154.

When I restart the services and SAP in MMC, I get a funny message at first when looking at the process list. It says: sapcpe.exe Executable copy.

When I run dispwork.exe -version now on the dispwork.exe in \usr\sap\SID\SYS\exe\run I get the old kernel version, 80.

How can this be, and do you have any idea about what I have to do?

Should I restart the server after I have updated the kernel files, but before I start SAP, or can this cause problems?

Regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

It seems like sapcpe is configured in your system which updates your kernel from DIR_CT_RUN location to your kernel directory each time you restart the system as this is defined in SAP Start profile.

To avoid this copy yoyr latest kernel to DIR_CT_RUN location or disable the sapcpe into SAP Start profile by just putting # in the starting.

Hope this will help you, do revert if you need further details.

Best Regards,

Sachin.

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

What I did was to replace the kernel files in DIR_CT_RUN, and then restart SAP. Now my kernel is updated.

Thanks for you help.

Regards,

Thomas

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

As a thumb rule, you must always setup a share called /sapmnt/<SID>/exe

and do all your kernel upgrades to this directory

So that you dont' have to make 'such' adjustments to your profiles.

To know more about sapcpe check this link:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005vp/helpdata/en/4f/37783021fc11d288cd0000e83539c3/frameset.htm

Regards,

Siddhesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thomas,

Please make sure that the MMC is closed and the services are stopped before applying the kernel patches and also check whether the sapstartsrv and disp are at same level.

thanks,

Kris

Former Member
0 Kudos

1)looks like sapcpe is configured in your system to update the kernel, you can check this in your start profile, if so the you will have to put in your kernel in the dir_ct_run directory which will get update the kernel in your sys/exe/run

2) or you may disable the sapcpe

if you need more details do a search on oss , you will find ways to do both the above

thanks