cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

business modelling concept in XI (SLD/design/directory)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

i've read alot of articles and threads and books and weblogs, but when i thought i've got it, i still ended up confusing myself by the business->xi modelling concept.

let's say my business runs sap R/3 and it communicates with legacy system AS400, and exchange EDI messages with my customers. so now i would want to implement XI to centralize message exchange internally and externally from my organization.

so basically, the message exchange primaly happens between :

1. R3 system, to legacy system : AS400-[FILE]->XI-[IDOC]->R3.

and

2. R3 system, to external party (customer) : R3-[IDOC]->XI-[EDI]->CUSTOMER.

from these requirement, how should i be registering my systems (R3, AS400, customers') in the SLD? and on top of that, how do i map them with a "party", "service without party", and then within each of them- "business services" and "business system", in the scenarios?

then down the line when everything is in place. new business process took place (new party to communicate with) and requirement to add message exchange scenarios in XI, do i re-create my systems in SLD (coz i have the idea what when a business system is being assigned you can no longer assign it in a different scenario?), or do i just add my message exchange in the existing scenarios?

sorry if this has been said so many times and many ways, but i find it hard to understand the model without visualizing this on a relevant scenario. hope you guys can share some thoughts along with your examples.

appreciation points will be noted to any replies. thanks!

cheers,

Ryan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ryan,

For you scenario 1, AS400-[FILE]->XI-[IDOC]->R3.

you would create one business system for R3 and one business system for AS400.

For the scenario 2, R3-[IDOC]->XI-[EDI]->CUSTOMER.

you need to create a party(a party needs to be created for each every customer you'll send message to), For R3 you'll use the same business system you created in sceario one, so u dont need to create any business system again for R3. But you'll need to create a business service for CUSTOMER since we dont know what business systems customers will have.

Down the line, if you need to add any new customers, create a party for each and every customer and create a business service for them in the scenario.

Hopefully it helps you.

--Archana

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Spot on guys. after refering to the texts together with this description, it makes much more sense now.

p/s: wish i could give 10 to both of you. but my utmost appreciation non the less.

cheers,

Ryan.

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

In point of view you dont need partys. I would avoid using business services (no SLD entry), coz SLD entries will give u some advantages.

<b> create technicals systems / business systems at SLD 4: </b>

- XI integration server

application systems:

- R/3 (type WAS ABAP)

- AS400 (3rd Party)

- CUSTOMER (3rd Party)

Create Software Components 4 at SLO

R/3

AS400

CUSTOMER

Mappings R/3-AS400

Mappings R/3-CUSTOMER

and connect them to the involved business systems.

Import the the SWC to IB Repository and create namespaces for each scenario.

Import the business systems to IB Directory and customize the required channels. I would put only all routing objects for one message flow into one scenario (example for easy scenario: 2 bus systems, 1 channel, 1 receiver determination, 1 if determination, 1 receiver agreement. Of coz more objects in case of using BPM). The scenario has no own functionality, it shoul help u 2 find ur objects. An IB Directory Object can be associated to 0-n scenarios.