cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No input history in SAIGUI 6.20

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is no input history in SAPGUI. I have installed version 620 and patch level up to 40 on windows XP. I have uninstalled and installed about 10 times with no luck. Can anyone help ?

Low Speed Connection is not checked.

Local Data history tab has the correct settings.

The error trace files has the following error:

(Error)(24.02.05 15:11:54.127): CSapHistoryDb::OpenDB: Could not create connection: -2147221164

Error(24.02.05 15:11:54.157): Loading local DB failed in frontend.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

glen_spalding
Participant
0 Kudos

this has also occured to me after playing around with my logon file cache settings and temp directories. still have not got back to how it used to work

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian and John,

I have tried all of the following:

1. Installing MSJET from Christian's Microsoft link.

2. Creating an empty saplogon.exe.local in sapgui's directory

3. Creating an empty sapgui.exe.local in sapgui's directory

4. Copying msjet40.dll to sapgui directory.

6. Deleting *.mdb files from localdata directory

Still no luck with the problem, the following error trace files are generated each time sapgui is lauched:

sapfewdll_01_0001_00_1708.err.trc

sapfewdll_01_3632_init.err.trc

Contents of both files are the same:

(Error)(03.03.05 09:56:01): CSapHistoryDb::OpenDB: Could not create connection: -2147221164

Error(03.03.05 09:56:01): Loading local DB failed in frontend.

Please any other suggestions ? The History was working during the initial installation of 620. But after patches 30, 36 and 40 were applied, it no longer worked!

Christian_Cohrs
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Michelle,

sorry, I'm afraid I'm lost as well. Please create an OSS message and attach a log of the ComponentChecker results. Maybe the developers have an idea...

Best regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

One question, did you delete the SapHistory*.ldb files also?

Also, I believe you mentioned installing patch 20, this is where SAP switched from DAO to ADO. According to OSS Note # 568119 <i>"..If you install a patch 20 or higher, without Compilation 3 being used, no history is initially available for these users after the patch is imported. Instead, a trace file is written in which the missing registration of an OLE DB Service Components Class is logged."</i>

You can use SAPVER to check what compilation is installed, if it is 3 or less I'd recommend that you uninstall and re-isntall with the current compilation.

Best Regards,

John

Christian_Cohrs
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Michelle,

this is usually not caused by the SAP GUI installation but rather by the Microsoft MDAC.

Please make sure you have the latest MDAC and JET components installed. You can check your installation using the Microsoft MDAC Component Checker (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=8F0A8DF6-4A21-4B43-BF53-14332EF092C9&displaylang=en).

Best regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

I ran the MDAC Component Checker and it is showing:

MDAC 2.8 RTM

Is this correct ?

Thanks very much,

Michelle

Christian_Cohrs
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Michelle,

as far as I remember the component checker has two steps: First it tries to guess which version of MDAC is installed on your system, and then it can validate the existing components and registry settings with respect to this version. This will create an error report if some components do not match.

MDAC 2.8 is ok, but you also need the MSJET components, which Microsoft moved out of MDAC some releases ago. You can find information about MSJET at

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239114

Best regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have found that often deleting the local history database will correct the problem.

The other approach we took is to use XP's support of side by side DLLs feature to load the MSJET DLL in the SAP GUI's address space. Copy the MSJET.DLL file (we used 3.51.623.4) and an empty text file called sapgui.exe.local to the folder containing SAPGUI.EXE.

SAP also had a DAO installation that installed MSJET referenced in one of the OSS notes, I think you have to FTP it down from SAPSERV.

Regards,

John

Christian_Cohrs
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi John,

I'm glad to hear you found a solution. Indeed, it may sometimes help to delete the database if it was corrupted by some application or system error.

Creating a copy of the Jet dll may however not be a solution that is applicable for others.

First of all, the Microsoft Data Access components consist of about a dozen dlls. If any one of these has the wrong version, some strange error messages will be reported. So if you make a local copy of one dll, it may no longer be valid after a Windows update has changed the other dlls.

If for some reason a local copy turns out to be the only solution, then you should also create a file saplogon.exe.local

Ever since SAP GUI 6.10 the SAP GUI sessions you start from SAPLogon are run inside the saplogon.exe process. sapgui.exe is only used for shortcuts.

Finally, DAO was a dead end, and it is no longer used in the recent SAP GUI 6.20 and 6.40 versions. We now work directly with ADO, which does not require the dao*.dll.

Best regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

We found using the local DLL decreased our HelpDesk calls, but maybe the changes in 6.20 also helped. We are not implementing it for our 6.40 rollout.

Using the SAPLOGON local file will work, except if you are a portals or workplace user who doesn't want saplogon to launch, as described in another posting here.

I looked at the DAO file, and you are correct, it is not a solution. OSS Note # 199527 covers this problem pretty well.

Best Regards,

John