cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outside-In vs Inside-Out (Proxies vs Adapters)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

can anybody tell me about outside-in and inside-out development approach?

What meaning have "outside" and "in" by outside-in? and "inside" and "out" by inside-out? I have read, that the first one are used by proxies, the second - by adapters.

But I don't really know, how I should understand this "outside" and "inside"?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

just have a look at this quote:

You can use the following approaches when developing interfaces:

+· Outside-In: You can develop new, platform-independent message interfaces by using the Integration Builder. Message interfaces are based on the WSDL standard Web Services Description Language), an XML schema for describing network services. Using this description, you can generate platform-specific proxies in Java or ABAP that you can then use to implement the actual message exchange.

· Inside-Out: You can connect interfaces from SAP and non-SAP systems to SAP Exchange Infrastructure by using adapters. The Integration Builder can import interface descriptions in XML format for BAPI, RFC, and IDoc interfaces from SAP systems Release 4.0 or higher.+

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/ba/d4c23b95c8466ce10000000a114084/content.htm

basically it's all about where you start developing

your interfaces either in XI (and later one in the

system - by proxies ) or in system first and then you try to match

to this interface in XI (by importing IDOCs, RFC, external definitions etc.)

Regards,

michal

-

-

<a href="https://answers.sap.com/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal,

thank you for your answer.

So, the first word "inside" or "outside" shows where an adapter was created - inside of application (RFC or IDOC adapters) or outside (proxies), the second word defines whether the creating was in or out XI.

Is it correct, that all standard adapters of XI are inside-out adapters?

regards

anna

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Anna,

it's not about adapters I believe

It's more about messages - where you create them at first

(in the outside system and then in XI you just try to reflect the same message

or do you start in XI and then you use it in the outside system)

just my opinion

adapters have very little do do with that but with PROXIES

you need to start in XI and then go to other system

as you will not have the proxy WSDL (on which proxies are based)

sooner

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

these are two ways of interfacing with SAP systems ( Ithink the writie is trying to keep SAP as the main system here)

Outside-in is any interface coming from External system to SAP. SAP XI can consume webservice and hence allows platform independence and on the SAP side you can consume these webservice using ABAP Proxies

Inside-Out is any interface from SAP to external system and BAPI, RFC, and IDoc are different mode of interface . Proxies from WAS 620 or above.

Regards

vijaya

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks all for your help!