cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interface Mapping VS Message Mapping

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the meaning of Interface mapping and Message mapping in real business?

I think it is something like the difference between the class and object. object is an instance of class.

While talking about the mapping, there are the source interface and target interface. Can two source intefaces map to only one interface, and what about the vs verse? And how about the message mapping?

Thanks a lot

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Koffer,

Interface mappings register your mapping program for an interface pair in the Integration Repository. If you require a mapping at runtime, it is sufficient to select the interface mapping for the interface pair at configuration time.

The Integration Server uses the interface mapping to identify associated mapping programs for request messages, response messages, fault messages, or all three.

You can also create multiple interface mappings for the same interface pair.

For Multi MAppings Refer

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005vp/helpdata/en/21/6faf35c2d74295a3cb97f6f3ccf43c/frameset.htm

Cheers,

Nagesh.......

Message was edited by:

Nagesh Rudhra Yellapu

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi -

First, an Interface Mapping is not only linked with "Message Mappings" (which is the XI term for a mapping created with the XI graphical tool), but any other XI supported mapping type (e.g. XSLT, Java, or ABAP). So basically, an Interface Mapping is used to link a source interface to a target interface via a mapping (of any of the supported types). At runtime, you can't have an interface mapping without a mapping and a mapping without an interface mapping - they need each other.

<i>>>>Can two source intefaces map to only one interface, and what about the vs verse? And how about the message mapping?</i>

Yes, the ratio of source to target interfaces are n:m. In those multiple cases, Multi-Mappings are typically involved as mentioned in the previous post.

Also, remember that in one interface mapping, you are not limited to one mapping. More than one mapping (of any type) can execute in the sequence you have set up in the Interface Mapping. However, watch out for performance in these back-to-back(to-back) mappings.

Regards,

Jin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jin,

I think there can be Interface mappings without any Message mappings. This will work properly if both the source and target interfaces are of same type.

There might be less sense in these scenarios but they cannot be ruled out. They can help at times.

Regards,

P.Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi P.Venkat -

<i>>>> think there can be Interface mappings without any Message mappings. This will work properly if both the source and target interfaces are of same type.</i>

Have you tried to create and activate an Interface Mapping without a mapping specified? XI won't let you.

If you meant that an Interface Mapping does not have to be configured for runtime (e.g. scenario with no mapping), this is correct, but different from what I was saying.

Regards,

Jin