cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Copy or System Copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Due to some problem I need to change the hardware of my SAP Application. At present we have three clients in our server and the total data size of server is around 115 GB. I want to know how do I need to go for this task? There are two ways to do:

1. System copy.

2. Or individauly copy those clients from the existing system to new hardware.

If I go for client copy (EXPORT/IMPORT)….What will happen to client independent changes and the transport reqests?

Version: ECC 6.0/10G

best regards,

Amit

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

System Copy is the best option!!

All the very best!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mate,

Similar situation faced by me and my vendor took the complete Image of the server and replaced the hardware and again put back the image and its worked fine.

All the best

Cheers

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Time ago we made a hw migration (Windows) and what I did is to install in the new hardware the SAP system again but with the same info. as the old one: SAPSID, datafiles, hard disks schema, etc. Then I copied all the db datafiles from the old server to the new one (under the database datafiles folder ) and it worked fine.

Hope it helps you.

Jessica.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanx to all for replying my querry. I will check the all possibilities and get back....

regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

If the only thing changing is the hardware then I would suggest following the documentation for a homogeneous system copy. The system copy guide will give you examples of both homegeneous and heterogeneous copies. The homogenious is used when you are copying the database from an offline and doing a restore somewhere else. In that scenario the database type should be the same or compatible. A heterogeneous copy would mean extracting the database into a format that will allow it to import into a different type of database. It doesn't sound like your doing that, so follow the procedures for homogeneous. The guide I used to do this recently was called "system copy for SAP systems based on SAP Netweaver 2004s S2 ABAP+Java" system copy guide. Its available out in http://service.sap.com/instguides

Lee

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Amit,

SAP recommends system copy for hardware migration instead of client copies.

This will mean database export import at OS/DB level and not SAP level.

Just for answering in case of client copies client independent changes will have no effect since they are different in different systems. Same is case with TRs since data files and co files exist at OS level and standard SAP tables for these will anyways go through with client copy. Still system copy is the best way.

You can use migration kit foor this which would be very useful and also help you to easily enter details like new hardware key etc.

Please award points for useful info.

Regards.

Ruchit.

kondala_muppana
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

We did several times System copies (Win 2003, Sql Server 2000 & ECC 5.0). Here are the steps.

1). Install SQL Server SAP software (No patching required for SAP).

2). Detach database from source and attach to target server.

3). Finish the post processing steps.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Kondala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

system copy is the best option. (If you wont change OS or database.

Regards

Ben

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

As suggested by BEN a client import export would be more time consuming and have to be done carefully..a system copy can be a suitable option where the whole system is copied to the new hardware.. also i suppose its a non productive environment that u r working out on these actions. else the downtimes have to be considered in case of any issues with this activity...

Br,

Sri

Award points for helpful answers