cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEV RTS died - All DC's broken in Track

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey guys,

Currently we have one track defined in our NWDI with a DEV and CONS runtime system connected. In both systems we imported ESS, MSS and PCUI packages for development of a self service application.

The problem now is, that the DEV runtime system died and cannot be restored. I cannot change the config of the track to point to a different RTS, because the system tries to access the non-existing system.

-> Does anybody know how I can change the system here without the old one still there?

Furthermore all DC's are broken in the track now and I cannot create a new DC in the developmen workbench. Is this related to the missing RTS?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

I don't know how to change the RTS but regarding the broken DCs: No, this is not related to the RTS. CMS knows about that, but CBS/DTR or the developer studio usually don't.

If everything is broken: Did you save the track somehow without restoring the system state? In other words: If you look at the CBS WebUI are there any DCs in SAP_BUILDT/JEE/JTECHS compartments?

If that is the case: restore the system state, i.e. reimport the archives into CBS.

Regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Marc,

Thanx for the fast reply.

I tried restoring the system state, but it fails because the DEV RTS does not respond. Somehow the CMS (or CBS) tries to contact the system while restoring the state. If I cannot remove the configured Development System and save the track, I basically cannot do any work on the track...

Cheers,

Mark

P.S.:

The SAP_BUILDT, SAP-JEE and SAP_JTECHS compartments are in the track, but they don't contain any DC's.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

ok, that explains why everything is broken. All DCs require at least one component contained in SAP_BUILDT. If it is not imported everything is broken.

Is it possible to delete and then re-create the track? That is not really a good solution and I'm not sure if there are strange side-effects. DTR-workspaces are never automatically deleted, so if you recreate the track with the same ID the existing workspaces should be used.

Regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I did now was creating a new track and the import of the components is currently running. I thought of transporting the developed components to the new track then.

When the track is deleted and recreated, does the system automatically check for already imported components or would the packages have to be imported again?

Thanx for your time...

Cheers,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if I understand your question. If you recreate a track you have to define the SCs for the "new" track again. Then you have to import SCAs (or re-add them from the history if available).

Now the interesting question is: what is contained in the SCAs? An SCA can contain a BUILDARCHIVE, i.e. something that is actually imported into the buildspace(s) on CBS, it can contain DEPLOYARCHIVEs which are deployed on runtime systems and it can contain sources for DTR.

DTR usually recognizes if a real import is necessary or not. CBS buildspaces are actually deleted and recreated each time you save a track (even for changes that are not really build-revelant at all). That's why you need to "restore the system state" after saving track changes which basically means that the BUILDARCHIVES are (again) sent to CBS for import into the buildspace. If there is no "system state" yet (after track creation) you need to check-in SCAs into CMS and then import them into dev/cons.

Regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Marc,

I hear what you saying, but I didn't delete and recreate the track. Instead I created a new one and the import of the components into dev is still running.

Still it would be desirable to have the "broken" track functional again - where you suggested the deletion and recreation of the track. I hesitated to do that, as I don't know the side effects of it. Furthermore the system is more than busy at the moment compiling and activating the DC's for the new track

Anyways, all I would need to be able to work with the "broken" track again is to get rid of the DEV RTS (or replace it with another one). Than I would be able to restore the system state and redeploy packages to dev/cons. This does not work due to the fact that CMS (or whoever) tries to connect to the already deceased DEV RTS before saving any changes to the track (or restoring state), so this operation fails.

I think I will try the delete / recreate of the old track after I integrated the custom DC's into the new track to see whether I can reanimate it.

Again, thanx for your time.

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos

Hello Mark,

the problem with the no longer available runtime system is already known in development.

I am currently working on a general solution.

I made a workaround for NW04s SP8 + 9.

Which version of CMS do you use ?

Regards

Jürgen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Juergen,

Thanx for the info. What I did now was I changed the URL to the J2EE Engine to a working system, which enabled me to save the track again.

What workaround do you suggest?

We are working on CMS SP10.

Cheers,

Mark

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member191388
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

Which user you using for accessing the RTS in CMS for changing the DEV. I hope that the user have the group NWDI.Administrators and NWDI.Developers both grouped assigned or otherwise use the user NWDI_CMSADM.

Please check on how to customise ESS.

If already done so, pls check in CBS that you do not have any broken DCs. While giving a build to your DC, it should show a list of dependent DCs to be built. If this is not shown, may be you need to reimport all the dependent DCs.

Hope this would help you.

Thanks & regards

Arun Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Reimporting the DC's would most likely solve the problem with the broken DC's, but unfortunately I cannot do that as the DEV RTS does not exist anymore. As soon as i try to modify the track (restore system state, add / remove SC's, ...) the CMS tries to access the DEV RTS and eventually fails to do so. I even cannot just remove the DEV RTS because it still pings the server before removing.

Any info on how to remove an RTS that does not exist anymore would help.

I was thinking about just enter another URL and save the track, but I don't know what effects it would have on that system and if the CMS still tries to connect to the old one first...

Cheers,

Mark