cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UI Customization of ESS 60.1 (Web Dynpro)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are very familiar with the ITS based ESS business pack and have frequently modified the ITS templates to include new requirements such as:

- additional informational content to help the user

- links to other resources

- additional data items on page (through corresponding modification to the underlying program)

- additional logic within the ITS template (using Business HTML/JavaScript)

1. Will the Web Dynpro business pack allow for the same sorts of customizations to be made?

2. What will the customization look like? i.e. copy the ess web dynpro application and modify, extend the application through user exits, etc.

3. What effect will making customizations have on the upgrade path

4. Is there a frontend and backend component to be modified, like ITS HTML templates and ABAP programs in the ITS days. Or is all the logic now contained in the web dynpro code that calls RFCs / BAPIs on the backend.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is a VERY good cookbook for all your ESS WebDynpro customizing needs....

JDI Cookbook for ESS.doc

It walks you through the whole process.

It can be found either here or on service.sap.com I think. We use it now for several customizations (ie. hiding fields, changing lables, changing links, etc....smaller easier stuff until the skillsets here are a bit more matured). Good luck!

C.Solomon

p.s. For those who may not know...a good SAP "trick" is to always search for "cookbook" in SAP documents. SAP typically puts out "cookbooks" for everything that walks people (even their own) right through a task. 😃

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christopher,

Can you plz send me the cook book for ESS that you mentioned. I will be greatful if you can send me any other documents that you have.

I apprecite your time. Thanks-a-lot. I am in a great need of it. Plz send it to my Mail Id: Peddisetty@gmail.com

Thanks,

Raj.

Message was edited by: naga raju peddisetty

former_member182161
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have changed the ESS(US Bank Application) code by importing it into local PC(Netweaver Developer Studio).

When i check in the code and activate i see build status is good and deployed status is "unknown" i heard this is a bug in NWDI or NWDS. When i try to look for those changes from Portal I dont see them. Am i missing something?? Also I tried to run from Web Dynpro console of ECC(R/3) and get an SSO error. How to progress on it??

Thanks

Santhosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Start a new thread to get answers...

former_member182161
Participant
0 Kudos

Hey,

Here is the new thread...

Thanks

Santhosh

nol_hendrikx
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi David,

Customization with the standard WebDynpro applications is allowed. However, if you change anything in the code (by copying the webdynpro, adjust it and use it), there are great risks to be aware of.

If you upgrade XSS (ESS/MSS) to a higher stack, you must make sure that changes in your part still work. Please keep this in mind.

Additional informational content can be done in several ways. Since you will use it (I assume) in the portal, you can add an additional help iview on the same page. With portal functionality (related links) you can assist the user. In this example you will not stick to the standard ESS worksets (implemented by the BP for ESS mySAP ERP2004).

Another way is to assist the user via CAP (Context Assistance Pattern). These are the links provided in the standard ESS components, like a date picker, view your own leave requests and so on. If you use this, you will change the standard WebDynpro components slightly. Upgrades of XSS is an issue.

Links to other resources can be done with CAP or related links.

Additional data items can be added, however you will need to change the standard applications.

I can imagine in your case that you will make a copy of the standard ESS component and create your own component of it.

The WebDynpro apps are developed with SAP Netweaver Developer Studio (NWDS). First of all, you will need to learn how to work with the Developer Studio, and then you must be aware of WebDynpro. If you know Java, you will have a great benefit (NWDS is based on Eclipse).

We are also struggling with changing the standard components. JDI - Java Development Infrastructure - may help in versioning of the changed XSS components.

cheers,

Noel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Noel,

How shall I get these WebDynpro applications in my NWDS?

Thanks,

Hemant

nol_hendrikx
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hemant,

You can import the SCA file into your DTR. With NWDS you can open the project from the DTR.

Hope this helps,

Noel

DTR = Design Time Repository

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Noel,

could you kindly give some more details on it?

exactly, which file have we import BP (BPERP4ESS0_0-10003146.zip, inside there is SCA file) or XSS (ESS05P_1-10002965.zip inside there is an SC file)?

How to import it in DTR? have we to configure something before?

TNX a lot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Noel,

Thanks for your reply. I guess these are XSS SCA. Do I need to get SCA for PCUI_GP along with SCA for ESS? Also, as per my understanding, these WD applications are also deployed on J2EE. So should the versions we get into NWDS match with those on J2EE?

Also, can you pls. give more details on how to import these SCA into DTR?

Thanks for your help.

Hemant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi.....

I believe it is the the ESS06P_1-10002965.SCA file available on service marketplace. I can import the content by stating it is a required dependency. However, the DC's aren't visible.

Have you made progress with this?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to load the ESS Web Dynpro SCA file into my NWDS. I do not want to use the DTR. Is there any way that I can open up the source code of the SCA file to try and modify it?

Do hope to hear from you.

Thanks.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can open the SCA with winzip.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stephen,

I have open the ESS SCA file using WinZIP.

It shows three folders :

BUILDARCHIVES

DEPLOYARCHIVES

META-INF

SOURCEARCHIVES

How do I load the source codes into the NWDS?

Do hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks.

Regards,

Mike Lee

nol_hendrikx
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Mike,

Maybe this is not the right solution to import it directly in NWDS. One of my collegues always uses the DTR.

Nevertheless...

Within the folders there are zip files as well. You could try to import these as well.

Just give it a try

Noel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi...

We used CMS. You add the SAP_ESS 100 component to your tract. We also imported the source code for PCUI.

Our issues were around a bug in SP10. See note 828628.

cwcheong
Explorer
0 Kudos

I would like to import the BP into NWDS too. Kindly advise simple steps / url / help links. thks.

I have use file->import, *.zip but can't see the package's under the application.

nol_hendrikx
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Allen,

I did not try it, but I know the Business Package contains definitions for iviews / pages and worksets (you cannot import these, since they belong to the portal).

However ESS has also some JSP applications, that are stored as PAR files. These JSP applications are installed on the portal. I guess you can download them and import them as PAR files in NWDS.

All other ESS components are on the WAS (WebDynpro).

cheers,

Noel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

We are trying to customize some of the ESS iViews. Our HR is in ECC 5.0. So all our webDynpro Applications reside in ECC 5.0 system. We tried to find out the WebDynpro application from the WebDynpro Console. Based on the name of the application we were able to find the application file system (code) in the ECC.

Now my question is whats the best way to modify those SAP delivered WebDynpro apps. How do i import it to NetWeaver Developer Studio and how do i redeploy the changed app?

Is there any document to do all these steps?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sasi

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I have little confusion about MSS business package. I see there are three versions that are shipped from SAP.

1. MSS Business package ITS version

2. MSS Business package with HTMLB (60.1.5)

3. MSS Business package with WebDynPro

I am confused between the versions of HTMLB (these are shipped as PAR files) and Web DynPro.

Can anyone help with,

1. What is SAP strategy about different releases?

2. How the implementors shoud advise the customers?

3. Does SAP also ship the Java source code along with these releases?

Can someone clarify these and better if you can provide some documents/links to them.

Regards,

Kishore.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

will be a good idea to start a new question on forum.

regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please refer the OSS Note 872892. From there you can download step by step guide to inport the BP into the NWDI /NWDS and modify them.

You also can refer to /people/vinoth.murugaiyan/blog/2007/08/24/essmss-customization-150-make-it-simple which is a very good reference.

Regards,

Ram Gupta