cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP systems and Daylight savings for 2007

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are discussing about the Daylight Saving time changes in USA for 2007 and its effect on SAP Systems.

<i>"Beginning in 2007, most of the U.S. will begin Daylight Saving Time at 2:00 a.m. on the second Sunday in March and revert to standard time on the first Sunday in November."</i>

Wondering, if we need to change any variable settings to take into effect? If so, could anyone give details on it.

Wondering if SAP systems time is getting sync with Database servers or O/S ?

Thanks,

Sam

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I feel the basic picking of time is from OS level. The DB table picks the value from OS and then UTC and other zone calculation is done in DB as per the codes.

Once i had a domain installation and the DC was upgraded from NT to 2003 after that my SAP and DB couldnt start, after few hours we found that the DC time was not matching to my server time. I reset the time to correct in DC and my SAP and DB started normally. So i feel the basic time value is picked from OS.

Cheers

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Arun..

Is there any docs available from SAP Help for this subject

Thanks,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

No Mate,

I couldn't find one. will post if i find some article on this topic.

Cheers

Arun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Does this daylight changes affect ITS server ? if so, what we need to take care of ?

Thanks,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

refer note 1001092 and 983147

rolfc_weber
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The beginning of daylight saving time is normally not a problem as the time will jump from 2:00 to 3:00, so seen from SAP that no problem. You will only have a 1 hour hole, as the system had nothing to do for one hour.

So there are no settings or so to maintain or change. Just let SAP system run...

But it is different when switching back to "normal" time, as there you will have the so called double hour, and even as SAP is working on a solution to this, it is still recommended to shut down the SAP system for this period.

(searching for the term "daylight saving time" in OSS should give you some notes explaining how SAP is handling it)

As i know SAP system is taking the time from OS, but you can se what time the SAP system has, by in the GUI menu to select the "system" => "Status"...

(In the Popup you can se it in upper right corner)

Regards

Rolf

Former Member
0 Kudos

can you clarify, if SAP system takes time from OS server or Database server ?

I could see this Blog says, it is from Database server..

/people/horst.keller/blog/2004/11/29/abap-geek-8-150-summertime-blues-133

Thanks,

Raj

rolfc_weber
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Sorry to confuse.

I am not a expert on this, and honestly it never really interested me that much

But I suppose that what is written in the blog (by a SAP ABAP'er) is right, and it makes also sense, as there is only one database (host) in a SAP system but one or more SAP instances (on maybe different hosts), so synchronizing with the database host sounds right.

Regards

Rolf