cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Composer requirements question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I was wondering, is SQL Server a must for a VC installation? Can I install VC on top of an Oracle database? I'm running Unix with oracle, with my portal at EP6.0 SPS 17. The portal instance only has the Java stack and we have a external ITS so we're running WAS 6.20, only the runtime is 6.40. I want to be able to use VC 7.0 because we are upgrading from BW 3.5 to BI 7.0, so we want to be able to leverage the new BI functionality with VC 7.0.

Can anybody please advise me what I need to do.

Thanks

TM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

With VC 6.0 SP14 (or was it earlier?) everything runs on all databases that the NW stack supports.

"MS SQL Server only" was the sneak preview version more than 2 years ago.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Mario,

So what your saying is....

1) I can install VC 7.0 on my oracle instance without having MS SQL Server

2) It will work ok with EP 6.0 SP17.

Another question, can I install VC 7.0 on the same server where my portal is? Or do I need a separate server? I read in another thread that VC is already installed with Portal, but when I typed the url (http://host:port/VC/default.jsp) i got resource not found page.

Thanks for the speedy response.

TM

Former Member
0 Kudos

ad 1) Yes

ad 2) Yes, but this version was only released to pilot customers (SP14)

ad 3) VC is part of the Portal.

You might also want to check the Visual Composer FAQ:

https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/VC/CannotlaunchVisual+Composer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

The VC 7.0 prerequisite section in the installation guide states that I need NW04s SP 8 in order to install VC 7.0. I'm running NW04. Does this mean I must install VC 6.0? I thought earlier you suggested that I can run VC 7.0 on EP 6.0 SP 17, this is a NW04 environment. I definately know I don't have VC installed as I checked for it thru Visual Admin as per the link you sent me.

Here is the scenario for me, we installed EP 6.0 SP 9, and upgraded to SP 12 and then eventually to SP 17.

We have our BW 3.5 which we're upgrading to BI 7.0. We want VC 7.0, can we install on top of our current EP 6.0 SP 17 environment? We are running AIX as the OS (this is what the portal is installed on). Several people are saying we cant install VC 7.0, and we must install VC 6.0 with MS Sql Server and IIS. Others are saying we can install VC 7.0, I'm really confused!

Can you clear up these ambiguities for me please?!

Thanks

TM

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, I probably haven''t read your question properly enough.

The VC "7.0" (or VC 04s, as we call it) design time can only run on a NW04s stack. You cannot install the VC 04s design time on a NW 04 stack.

But you can downport a compiled application (created and compiled with VC 04s) to a VC04 environment. Of course there are multiple restrictions. See also in the section Migration in the Visual Composer WIKI FAQ, what you can do:

https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/VC/General+issues

Basically, your developer box must be a NW 04s environment, your productive environment can (under certain limits) run the compile application on the NW 04 stack.

Of course, you can always install VC 6.0, but many features are not available there and it was only limited available.

The BW release itself does not matter. BW 3.5 can be accessed by both versions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for clearing that up Mario....

So just to finalize,

I believe these are my options:

1) Install VC 6.0, and I will need an MS SQL Server / IIS / MS XML / SVG

I believe you said VC 6.0 SP 14 works without SQL Server but was only available to pilot customers, so that version won't be available to me which means I have to have SQL Server, correct?

2) Upgrade to NW04s and I can install VC 7.0, correct?

Thanks again

TM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nearly

ad 1) Some of the VC6.0 SPS14 was only available to pilot. But already the versions on a lower SP were independent of the web server and database, I just cannot remember on which SP that was.

The big thing for SPS14 was the introduction of Flash as UI, instead of HTML/B

ad 2) Yes. VC is part of the Portal, so you get it automatically when you upgrade.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mario,

Was there ever a version of VC 6.0 that ran without the Sql Server AND had the flash UI AND was available to people who were NOT pilot customers? I guess I want to be able to use VC with BW as it works well with queries whereas with Web Dynpro you have to have BAPI's.

TM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tony,

No, there wasn't. It only was available in this combination with VC 7.0 (=VC 04s).

You can use BW with WD when you use the BI Java SDK. This way you use the XMLA connector, and programm your own MDX statement (like SQL in steroids for multidimensional systems). But that requires more work from your side.

Moya Watson published a couple of blogs here and also the documentation has some examples with coding:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/advancedsearch?query=bi%20java%20sdk&cat=sdn_all

Mario

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We want to create Dashboard in our company using Visual Composer.But for installation,w e are facing problems.We have Oracle as our database and i heard that Visual composer works with mysql.

Can you please guide so that we can proceed further with what we have inspite of buying new software.

Warm regards,

Shailja Kaul.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) Please open a new thread, and do not attach your question to a very old posting

2) For more than 3 years now, VC can be installed on any database that SAP supports. VC is part of NW, so VC can be installed on Oracle, MS SQL Server, MaxDB, etc.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The link to the Weblog shows up blank.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which one? I can see both the first two weblogs that come up in the search.

Try to refresh