cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

kernel upgrade from patch 57 to patch 75.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I am sorry to have posted this question in another thread as well, basically cause the subject of the other thread related to this one...maybe that's not a good way to...

I have a NW04S SR1 systems installed with usage type (AS-Java, BI, EP,DI).

My present kernel stack is 57, which is a unicode kernel.

I downloaded the latest Application server JAVA- kernel 64 bit unicode stack from Service market place.

Now I am trying to load the kernel stack into my system using the note "Note 912575 - iSeries: Using LODSAPKRN to load a 7.00 kernel"

The note mentions about creating a file in "</dir>/<parts>". After downloading the files SAPEXE.SAR & SAPEXEDB.SAR to my IFS in a folder named "kern", I created a text file named "parts" using notepad having the content:

SAPEXE.SAR,

SAPEXEDB.SAR,

After this I created a library named "EPD70UCKRN".

Now when I run the command LODSAPKRN I get the following error message in the joblog:

LODSAPKRN DEV(STMF) MNTPNT('/kern') KRNLIB(EPD70UCKRN) USERDEF(YES) LIST('/kern/parts')

ImportKitPartDef: Cannot open definition file /kern/parts

RestoreKitFromSAR: PANIC: Could not correctly initialize.

LodSapKit: Failed to restore kernel parts from archives below /kern

Failed to load first part of SAP kernel.

Errors occurred in command.

The first Error which says "Cannot open definition file /kern/parts" makes me wonder if you have to create the file some other way, maybe some OS400 style. I have checked the permissions on the file, I tried chaniging the owner to <SID>ADM and giving it all the permissions using chmod 777.

Or it totally something else?

any ideas??

Thanks all.

Abhi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

KERNEL Upgrade with SAPCAR using my PC

Thought maybe someone could use the Unpack.BAT commands ...

Install SAPCAR on windows.

Download the SAR files desired.

Unpack.BAT :

echo for %%%%F in ( > temp.bat

dir /o/b *.sar >> temp.bat

echo ) do sapcar -xvf %%%%F >> temp.bat

call temp.bat

Drag the save files (with .FILE) using iSeries Navigator from C:\QSYS.LIB to mylib

DSPSAVF and find SAVLIB and whether to use RSTLIB or RSTOBJ

RSTLIB/RSTOBJ examples :

RSTLIB SAVLIB(R3700UOPT) DEV(SAVF) SAVF(mylib/SAPEXE) MBROPT(ALL) ALWOBJDIF(*ALL) RSTLIB(mykernel)

RSTLIB SAVLIB(R3700UDB) DEV(SAVF) SAVF(mylib/SAPEXEDB) MBROPT(ALL) ALWOBJDIF(*ALL) RSTLIB(mykernel)

RSTOBJ OBJ(ALL) SAVLIB(GEN700UOPT) DEV(SAVF) SAVF(mylib/R3TRANS) MBROPT(ALL) ALWOBJDIF(ALL) RSTLIB(mykernel)

RSTOBJ OBJ(ALL) SAVLIB(GEN700UOPT) DEV(SAVF) SAVF(mylib/TP) MBROPT(ALL) ALWOBJDIF(ALL) RSTLIB(mykernel)

RSTOBJ OBJ(ALL) SAVLIB(GEN700UOPT) DEV(SAVF) SAVF(mylib/LIB_DBSL) MBROPT(ALL) ALWOBJDIF(ALL) RSTLIB(mykernel)

0 Kudos

Hi all,

Should have mentioned this explicit pitfall already in my last reply. Your script does not reflect the fact that most patches bring their own version of a repository kernel file containing IFS objects. These always have the same name and must be merged. If you overwrite an existing version with the incomplete patch version by doing RSTLIB/OBJ you will end up with an incomplete kernel.

Please use the tools!

Regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I was able to solve the first problem after I realized that the file name should have a .txt extension at its end. Duh!!!!

So once I modified my command as

LODSAPKRN DEV(STMF) MNTPNT('/kern') KRNLIB(EPD70UCKRN) USERDEF(YES) LIST('/kern/parts.txt') , it started extracting and uncaring my SAPEXE.SAR etc to a library X.....in QSYS. But now it gives me a different error in the joblog:

The total joblog is is:

Ownership of object GETOBJINF in QTEMP type *USRSPC changed.

Library EPD70UCKRN cleared.

Ownership of object X124110 in QSYS type *LIB changed.

Library X124110 created.

Object changed for X124110 in QSYS type *LIB.

Link added.

Extracted /kern/SAPEXE.SAR to /QSYS.LIB/X124110.LIB

Ownership of object LSTSAVF in QTEMP type *USRSPC changed.

Parameter SAVLIB required.

Error found on RSTOBJ command.

RestoreKitPartFromSAVF: Command "RSTOBJ OBJ(ALL) SAVLIB() DEV(SAVF) SAVF(X124110/SAPEXE) MBROPT(ALL) ALWOBJDIF(ALL) RSTLIB(EPD70UCKRN) RSTASP(SAVASP)" failed (CPF0006 "RSTOBJ OBJ(ALL) SAVLIB() DEV(SAVF) SAVF(X124110/SAPEXE) MBROPT(ALL) ALWOBJDIF(ALL) RSTLIB(EPD70UCKRN) RSTASP(SAVASP)" caused an exception: CPF0006)

RestoreKitPartFromSAR: Failed to update library EPD70UCKRN with content of

archive SAPEXE.SAR in /kern/.

RestoreKitFromSAR: PANIC: Could not restore archive /kern/SAPEXE.SAR.

LodSapKit: Failed to restore kernel parts from archives below /kern

Failed to load first part of SAP kernel.

Now any ideas guys??

Thanks

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Abhi,

From the joblog, it seems RSTOBJ failed because SAVLIB parameter is missing.

DSPSAVF SAVF(X124110/SAPEXE)

should tell the correct value of SAVLIB

I would guess LODSAPKRN has a parameter for SAVLIB. If not, using it as KRNLIB might get around it.

Good luck,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the response.Yeah I saw that he SAVLIB command failed. but where/how do I specify the parameter during the operation of LODSAPKRN??

I can do it afterwards...which I tried...but the library X124110 has a SAPEXE.SAVF which is empty.

The surprising part is that the same command got executed on my test box...so all i did is save the loaded kernel library into a savf file, FTPed, restored the contenst from the savf file to my library...so got my stuff done..but some other way...

But I would still like to decode why this command fails on this box, which are the same....??

Thanks

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

If X124110/SAPEXE is empty, there is still issue with sapcar...

Sorry for not helping much!

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

if there are sooo many issues with the automatic tools you can always use the following workaround:

- Install SAPCAR on Windows ( the latest 7.00 version or at least 6.40 patch 4 (not 3!))

- decompress the files on windows

- you will receive stuff in the same drive in \QSYS.LIB\... these files are SAVFs!

=> crtSAVF on iSeries and a binary put to them !

- DSPSAVF to understand the contents

- RSTLIB of SAPEXE & SAPEXEDB into one lib (and perhaps more files if you need more like IGS)

- you will have a useful kernel

Regards

Volker Gueldenpfennig, consolut.gmbh

http://www.consolut.de - http://www.4soi.de - http://www.easymarketplace.de

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

Yes, it is still the way I am comfortable with. I made the SAR file working once on a 6.40 kernel, but went back to the old method since.

To save a few key stokes, I don't do CRTSAVF and ftp, instead just use iSeries Navigator to drag-and-drop. It is handy if you need a few files like the latest DW, lib_dbsl, etc.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to try the technique which you told us.

The only issue I have is when I extract SAPEXE.SAR & SAPEXEDB.SAR using the SAPCAR.EXE program for windows, (the SAPCAR I am using is for windows IA32-bit) it create as you mentioned , in the same drive, \QSYS.LIB\R3SAVF700U.LIB. Now this is not a SAVF file.

It is actaully a library, with the contents of this R3SAVF700U.LIB being:

SAPEXE.FILE & SAPEXEDB.FILE.

Now I can transfer this R3SAVF700U.LIB to QSYS.LIB on my AS400 using my Mapped drive, but what do I do after that??? I can't use a RSTLIB command, as it is not a SAVF. I can't do a DSPSAVF.

Am I missing a point here?? I guess I am, but that's how I see it.

Just wanted to know how to do this process. Hence the question.

Thanks for all you help & time.

Regards

Abhi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you should copy the SAR files to your PC to a C: or 😧 drive (without a blank in the path name!). Then you will receive these directories as you described on your PC.

The lowest stuff, that is ending with xxx.FiLE I always rename to xxx and then transfer it binary to a SAVF on iSeries.

Victor seems to use an even easier approach, that I didn't tested by now.

Regards

Volker Gueldenpfennig, consolut.gmbh

http://www.consolut.de - http://www.4soi.de - http://www.easymarketplace.de

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

Thanks a lot for the great tip. It worked out great. I was getting confused with the "FiILE" extension.. Once I removed the File extension, and FTPed it over to the iSeries, all the files "magically" appeared in my SAVF file. tested it by restoring it to a test library. all the object were there..dot 248..

Its truly is great. Safe and sound method..I will surely do it this way the next time I do the Kernel stack, since I had finished it this time already. No hassles. works great.!!! Full Marks!!!

and I will try the Victor method as well sometime definitely...

Thanks guys for the great tip of the day.

Abhi

0 Kudos

Hi Abhi, Volker,

Happy to see that Volker's workaround helped!

Nevertheless, <b>I strongly disagree if anyone promotes workarounds as the normal way to go</b>. There are several reasons for this standpoint:

- The workaround may be incomplete; nobody - even Volker included - except the developers know exactly what is the complete process for generating a new kernel. This process might also be object of changes.

- Also during the workaround you may encounter errors. Support will usually be very happy to solve this kind of problems.

- Many customers are not aware of those workarounds but would benefit from your feedback being merged into improved versions of the tool.

So, if you find time to reproduce the problem that SAPCAR creates an empty save file, please report this here or the official way to SAP and let them/us improve the standard tools.

Additionally, some remarks to the comments above:

- parameter SAVLIB is determined from the extracted save file and does not need to be given to any interface

- file parts does for sure not need an extension; the root cause must be something different

- we have a patch in preparation to improve the robustness of the file handling and parsing of its content.

Regards and thanks a lot in advance,

Thomas

Message was edited by:

Thomas Obermeier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I must input a comment here. The SAP note system has become a failed support tool. Look at the note mentioned. Is there a competition to confuse and frustrate its audience? The format is meaningless, not helpful. They no longer give proper examples of how to type in anything with the exception of the SAP commands. Since SAP does not bother to offer an operations manual specific to our platform we are stuck.

Regards,

Pat DeCrappeo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

What was that??? which note ?? what are your talking about?

Love SAP....Its fun!!!

Abhi

0 Kudos

Hi Pat,

Supposed you are talking about note 912575, you were kind of right for it's english version which was outdated for a certain time in the past. But with constructive feedback from customers it could be improved.

You are invited to suggest any improvement. Be assured SAP will take care of thinking it over and merge it into the note if it appears reasonable.

Regards,

Thomas

JanStallkamp
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Patricia.

If you have any problems with SAP Notes please let SAP know. Not all SAP developers that write SAP Notes read the SDN on a daily basis so opening a customer message might be a good way to address the problem. For all Notes specific to SAP on i5/OS this forum is an alternative. We're very interested in offering SAP Notes that help you solving all issues you have.

Best regards,

Jan Stallkamp