cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Copy R3SETUP or DB tools

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I am in the process of testing a homogenous copy that will be used to copy our 4.6c SR2 (4.6d kernel) and SQL 2000 to new hardware. I have downloaded the latest versions of R3Setup and R3load. According to the inst guide the "preferred" way is to use SAP and R3Setup to export the DB and import into new server for the windows platform. I would like to put the servers (1 app server and 1 db server) onto the network and install the central instance on the app server and load the DB onto the db server so we can point a few clients to the new servers for testing.

My questions are:

1) Is it easier or better to use the SQL backup and restore method instead of using the R3setup and the export/import process?

2) What kinds of things are NOT going to be copied into the new system? I read that certain ABAP Dictionary code and possibly other items will not copy. Is this true due to using a SQL only method or both SAP or SQL methods?

3) Any other thoughts, gotchas, etc I should be aware of in this scenario?

P.S. The new servers will be setup with NEW names on the network and will not have the same name as the existing servers. We will simply update the clients instead to make this process faster.

Thank you all so much!

- Jason

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Backup / restore method is faster but as u building a new test server better to go with r3load..First export the Data from the source system by running r3setup and install the new system with the help of this export file instead of selecting standered installation at the time of Database instance installation..SID will not be main constraint.u can use new name for the system

Regards

Umesh K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply. We are using 4.6c SR2 - 4.6D kernel and one install doc (2001) says to use the R3setup from the kernel disk and another doc (2002) says to NOT use the kernel disk and use the SQL 2000 Tools CD from SAP. Can you tell me which one I should use? I have also downloaded updated r3load and r3setup from the FTP site...Which media should i use?

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

read this?

->

GreetZ, AH