cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reserving Inventory for A Delivery

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Would like to know if anyone knows how I can reserve inventory for a specifc delivery without having to actually pick the inventory.

The purpose is to have our Order Entry team reserve inventory for orders they enter before the delivery is actualy picked and shipped.

This way they can prioritze order deliveries before the Warehouse issue a picklist.

Thanks,

Mark

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roberto,

What do you mean by "Reserve Stock" - I think this is what I am missing.

Currently new orders being created are not reserving stock, This is why I can issue multiple deliveries irrelevant of the amount of units in Stock - Do you know where I run reservations for Sale Orders ?

-Mark

rmazzali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mark, in SD there is the ATP check that works differently in order and delivery:

1) in the sales order: here you can check if there are quantity Available To Promise (=ATP) to your customer. Here you check against many kind of requirement: stock (with or without quality, blocked stock and so on) and requirements coming from production (=production orders in their different statuses), purchase orders, and sales requirements (=quantities already booked from sales orders and deliveries)

2) in delivery: here usually you check only the physical stock available, so you cannot create a delivery unless you have stock.

When you place an order (point 1) the system -for the requested delivery date- checks (for example) for the stock + production orders to be posted - quantity already asked from other orders at that date: if there is quantity available then confirms the schedule line for that date.

Roberto

0 Kudos

Roberto

I think that what Mark wants to know is that at ATP time, the qtys already confirmmed to other orders are not considered for new orders (even though the flag to consider the previous orders is set in the availability rule).

For example, I have a stock of 100 units of material A. Than I create the order 1234 for 50 units. In the ATP for this order, the qty is confirmmed for (lets say today). If, one hour later another person creates another order 1235 of 100 units, the ATP for that will confirm the qty of 100. If the order 1235 is faster in picking the goods, the first order will not have the material available to the customer anymore.

Mark, please confirm if this is your point.

rmazzali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

no, it doesn't work this way: order 1234 retains availability, so order 1235 can confirm only 50 pieces !

Roberto

0 Kudos

Ok. This is a problem that I am also facing. I just did a double check test and I confirmmed my point. The second order was confirmed. Besides, the availability rule is checked for sales order and the second order was able to be confirmed and also do PGI.

Let me know if there is another config that I am missing in order to have this working.

Thanks

Message was edited by:

Jose Barbosa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roberto,

You are correct - that is exactly the functionallity I am looking for.

I would like the ATP to actually reserve qty's per specific order not allowing another

order to reserve it if its already taken.

-Mark

0 Kudos

Hi Mark

Did you do a test to confirm? I did but it didint work that way. I don't know if more configuration are need. Please input if you can help.

I apreciate, Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roberto,

Where do I define that new orders can't pick availability assigned to existing orders ?

-Mark

rmazzali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In tcode OVZ9 set the flag 'include sales requirements' for the ATP combination you use for the order (normally 02/A).

Regards

Roberto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sadhu - thanks for your response.

But what you suggested only blocks other users when trying to perform

My question is how can I block a delivery from being created if the qty in all open sale orders exceeds the qty available in stock.

For example:

I have 1 unit of part number X that has been ordered via Sales Order 1234 and delivery 5678 that has not yet been picked.

When I enter an additional SO for part number X with Qty 1 I am expecting that the system will not allow the delivery to be created with a message similar to "no inventory available for delivery x".

Basically I am expecting that Sale Order 1234 will reserve the 1 unit upon creation of it's delivery although nothing has been picked yet.

This way I will be enforcing Order Entry team to create deliveries (or prioritize) only when they have available inventory for it.

-Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

if your order items are relevant for ATP check and will reserve stock-> new orders will not get confirmed qty if there is no stock available... so if you have qty 10 available, just 10 will be confirmed, all other orders will be saved unconfirmed => NO delivery is going to be created for these orders.... once you add more qty to the stock... you can either run check availability in your backlog orders or just run mass rescheduling which will unconfirm all orders, then run check availability for them according to your defined sort criteria (like you may want orders with high priority to be scheduled first). If you set fixed date & qty flag on sales order item -> this item is excluded from mass rescheduling. NOTE: if you set Fixed date qty flag on partially confirmed order -> sap will treat is as complete... like you are happy with partial qty and don't need more, so keep it in mind.

BTW, I believe you can do additional ATP check at teh time of delivery if you want.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Please see the configuration settings in

SPRO>SD > BASIC FUNCTIONS > AV. CHECK AND Transfer of Req > Av. Check > Av. Check with ATP logic or against planning > Define Checking groups

Here you tick the <b>Block Quantity Requirement</b> check box. What this will do is during order entry it will block the material for other users while this material being checked for availability.

Effectively say out available quantity 20 you are making an order for say 6 pieces, the other users can only see the available quantity as 14 only. which is the net available quantity. Hence you will have a quantity confirmed for delivery and no other order can actually use it for availability.

Please tell if it helps you. And Reward if it helps you.

Thanks & Regards

Sadhu Kishore

rmazzali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the only way is to use the ATP check in the order in such a way that the new orders cannot pick availability assigned to other orders and use the fixed date and quanities flag so that these orders are not rescheduled.

regards

Roberto Mazzali