cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Referencing portal services in web dynpro applications

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

I downloaded example WD application TutWD_KMBrowser_Init that is part of tutorial: Using Knowledge Management Functionality in Web Dynpro Applications.

We are able to build the service and deploy it but the deployment ends with a warning and the application is actually not started and does not work. Here is the warning we get:

***********************************************************************************************

Dec 28, 2006 11:48:09 AM /userOut/deploy (com.sap.ide.eclipse.sdm.threading.DeployThreadManager) [Thread[Deploy Thread,5,main]] WARNING:

[002]Deployment finished with warning

Settings

SDM host : GLES3037

SDM port : 50018

URL to deploy : file:/C:/DOCUME1/rharald/LOCALS1/Temp/temp61706LocalDevelopmenttestlocal.ear

Result

=> deployed with warning : file:/C:/DOCUME1/rharald/LOCALS1/Temp/temp61706LocalDevelopmenttestlocal.ear

Finished with warnings: development component 'LocalDevelopmenttestlocal'/'local'/'LOKAL'/'0.2006.12.28.11.48.01'/'0':

Caught exception during application startup from SAP J2EE Engine's deploy service:

java.rmi.RemoteException: Error occurred while starting application local/LocalDevelopmenttestlocal and wait. Reason: Clusterwide exception: server ID 2361850:com.sap.engine.services.deploy.exceptions.ServerDeploymentException: Application local/LocalDevelopmenttestlocal cannot be started. Reason: it has hard reference to resource com.sap.km.application with type application, which is not active on the server.

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.ReferenceResolver.processReferenceToApplication(ReferenceResolver.java:580)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.ReferenceResolver.processMakeReference(ReferenceResolver.java:399)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.ReferenceResolver.beforeStartingApplication(ReferenceResolver.java:328)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.application.StartTransaction.beginCommon(StartTransaction.java:162)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.application.StartTransaction.begin(StartTransaction.java:136)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.application.ApplicationTransaction.makeAllPhasesOnOneServer(ApplicationTransaction.java:292)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.application.ParallelAdapter.makeAllPhasesImpl(ParallelAdapter.java:342)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.application.ParallelAdapter.runInTheSameThread(ParallelAdapter.java:126)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.application.ParallelAdapter.makeAllPhasesAndWait(ParallelAdapter.java:245)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.DeployServiceImpl.startApplicationAndWait(DeployServiceImpl.java:4761)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.DeployServiceImpl.startApplicationAndWait(DeployServiceImpl.java:4666)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.DeployServiceImpl.startApplicationAndWait(DeployServiceImpl.java:4639)

at com.sap.engine.services.deploy.server.DeployServiceImplp4_Skel.dispatch(DeployServiceImplp4_Skel.java:1163)

at com.sap.engine.services.rmi_p4.DispatchImpl._runInternal(DispatchImpl.java:320)

at com.sap.engine.services.rmi_p4.DispatchImpl._run(DispatchImpl.java:198)

at com.sap.engine.services.rmi_p4.server.P4SessionProcessor.request(P4SessionProcessor.java:129)

at com.sap.engine.core.service630.context.cluster.session.ApplicationSessionMessageListener.process(ApplicationSessionMessageListener.java:33)

at com.sap.engine.core.cluster.impl6.session.MessageRunner.run(MessageRunner.java:41)

at com.sap.engine.core.thread.impl3.ActionObject.run(ActionObject.java:37)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at com.sap.engine.core.thread.impl3.SingleThread.execute(SingleThread.java:100)

at com.sap.engine.core.thread.impl3.SingleThread.run(SingleThread.java:170)

(message ID: com.sap.sdm.serverext.servertype.inqmy.extern.EngineApplOnlineDeployerImpl.performAction(DeploymentActionTypes).REMEXC)

Deployment exception : Got problems during deployment

***********************************************************************************************

There seems to be a problem with the shared reference entry: PORTAL:sap.com/com.sap.km.application

In our environment we have the portal installed on one server and web dynpro installed on another server. I found the help documentation 'Accessing an Enterprise Portal Service' and it states the following:

Restrictions

A portal service can be used only when the portal platform is installed and the Web Dynpro application and the portal platform run on the same machine.

Question 1: Do you think this is the reason why the tutorial example does not work in our environment?

Question 2: Is there anything we can do to get this to work in our environment?

Thanks a lot for all your help and points will be rewarded!

Harald

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Yes. KM has to be available in the j2ee server.

Regards

Bharathwaj

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harald,

1.) i think that's the reason

2.) you can wrap needed functionality (creating new document, getting document list, etc) into session bean (or webservice) in portal J2EE environment and call it from Web Dynpro applications running on another app. server.

Best Regards,

Juraj Sedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your comments!

I am looking for a way that keeps me doing my stuff in web dynpro and not having to use a hybrid of Java and WD.

I am just buzzled that SAP recommended this system setup (portal and WD on separate servers) and also performed the configuration that seems to limit us now on what we can do with web dynpro alone in the future!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reiter

I have the exact same problem, what did you to solve this?

Thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok i have been searching a little bit more and the solution proposed by Juraj seems to be a good one, has anyone solve this issue using this:

"2.) you can wrap needed functionality (creating new document, getting document list, etc) into session bean (or webservice) in portal J2EE environment and call it from Web Dynpro applications running on another app. server."

Also i haven't developed a webservice before, does anybody have a suggestion or information about it.

Thanks in advance!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Creating a Web Service and Consuming it in Web Dynpro:

/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/09/15/creating-a-web-service-and-consuming-it-in-web-dynpro

Hope this help you,

Vito