cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Web Service using RFC target sys

0 Kudos

Hello!

I have a question regarding calling an ABAP Web Service from an outside application to return data from our R/3 system (4.6c). We have an ABAP web service set up on an NW04 system that replicates the function on R/3 and when I call it using the correct RFC target system (the R/3 system), I get the results and everything is great.

My question is: Is it possible to set up an ABAP web service to populate that RFC target system (to point to R/3), or does that have to be done inside the function module (by calling the function module with the destination)?

Thanks!

John

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

not very clear.

<i>We have an ABAP web service set up on an NW04 system</i>

do you mean another ABAP system (was6.40)?

and from here using another FM you call the 4.6c system RFC ?

<i>Is it possible to set up an ABAP web service to populate that RFC target system (to point to R/3), or does that have to be done inside the function module (by calling the function module with the destination)?</i>

may be you could pass the RFC destination as import parameter to the 6.40 RFC and use the same will the call to 4.6C RFC from the 6.40 RFC

Is this what you are looking for?

Raja

0 Kudos

Siddhesh - thank you for the link; the blogs by Thomas are required reading as far as I am concerned.

Hi Raja;

<i> do you mean another ABAP system (was6.40)?

and from here using another FM you call the 4.6c

system RFC ?</i>

Yes, that is what we are doing. We are calling a web service from an Intranet form to the 6.40 system that, in turn will call the 4.6C system and pass the data back to the Intranet form (through 6.40)

<i> may be you could pass the RFC destination as import

parameter to the 6.40 RFC and use the same will the

call to 4.6C RFC from the 6.40 RFC</i>

That would work, but it would be more beneficial to just use the function module on the 6.40 system as a proxy to the function on 4.6c and not have to enter code in it each time.

I had thought of writing just one function module in the 6.40 system that could dynamically call any different function module in 4.6c (based on the input parameters), but since were are trying to accomplish SOA, we need visiblity to each web service (ergo function module).

If it's not possible, that is OK I am just hoping someone had found a way to pull this off.

Thanks!

John

athavanraja
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

now i understand completely.

still you could go ahead and create one RFC which can dynamically call RFC from 4.6c system and as for the visibility, you could show the 6.40 one as its going to be the same in 4.6C system , for alteast released FMs and provided both systems are same (what i mean is not a bw 6.40 system and 4.6 R/3 system)

Regards

Raja

former_member185954
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check this weblog:

/people/thomas.jung3/blog/2004/11/15/bsp-150-a-developer146s-journal-part-xiii-developing-abap-webservices

Regards,

Siddhesh