cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ECC on Windows, Oracle - 2

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello friends,

[This is actually related with my earlier query. I am opening a new thread because earlier one already had reached the state of 'Problem Solved', thereby limiting the reward points. I really appreciate Sachin and Peter for very assuring and valuable responses]

Anyway, the question is:

Suppose I have an old installation media. (actually we have in some other location)

I yet don't know, but if it is 32 bit, is it possible to install it on 64 bit hardware ?

(I have seen an FAQ on service.sap.com/unicode where they have mentioned it is possible if you install the OS in 32 bit mode)

Thanks in advance.

Kaushik Banerjee

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kaushik,

In windows you do have two Env one is Intel (IA64 - 64 Bit, I386 - 32 Bit) based and another one is AMD (X86_64 - 64 bit, X86 - 32 bit)based.

If you need to find which Hardware you do have then goto START --> run --> Type winmsd.exe in the Open box, and then click OK --> it will popup one window (System information) -->Locate Processor to find out the details.

You can run your 32 bit application on a 64Bit OS but then you will not get the advantage of using a 64Bit server (Performanance). You can't run 64Bit application server on a 32Bit OS.

DO revert if you need any further details.

Best Regards,

Sachin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Hi Kaushik,

>

> In windows you do have two Env one is Intel (IA64 -

> 64 Bit, I386 - 32 Bit) based and another one is AMD

> (X86_64 - 64 bit, X86 - 32 bit)based.

>

well this is not quite correct.

we have 3 environments:

1. I386 (32 Bit Xeon, Celeron, (Both from Intel) Athlon (from AMD)etc)

2. IA64 (Intel / HP)

3. X86_64 (CPUs from AMD - AMD64, XEON CPUs from Intel - EM64T)

The X86_64 architecture can run 32 Bit Applications without emulating them (IA64 can also run most of the 32 Bit Applications but will emulate the X86 CPU which results in a major performance decrease).

The performance on X86_64 of 32 Bit applications compared with the same applications compiled with a 64 Bit compiler is the nearly same as long as the process does not use more than 4 Gigabyte of virtual memory. This 4 GB limit depends a little on the number of the used memory segments and if they have to be contigious. If the application needs only a few number of large contigious memory segments, the limit may be significantly below 2 GB (SAP J2EE Server).

An application which did already use the AWE feature on 32 Bit Windows to use more than 3 GB physical Memory (almost every database) will definitely show better performance on 64 Bit.

This is also the case for applications which did not use the AWE feature in 32 Bit but are technically able to use more than 4 GB memory (SAP ABAP Server).

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter and Sachin,

You have been fantastic in your responses. I am too overwhelmed. By they way, little more :

1. We have not yet procured hardware. I understand that, 64 bit hardware is safe and is THE ARTICHETURE that we should go for.

2. The SAP ERP 2005 as on the swcat shows among others, the platoform combination INTEL/NT/ORACLE. I don't remember any mention of AMD. (I will check again) Does the software for INTEL also work on AMD ?

Does NT also mean 2003 server ?

Many Thanks and Regards

Kaushik Banerjee

Former Member
0 Kudos

The architecture is called X86_64. AMD CPUs (Opteron AMD64) are binary compatible with Intels XEON CPUs with the EM64T extension.

There is currently only one Windows Server Operating System available for this architecture: Windows Server 2003.

There are 3 Versions available which support different features / hardware configurations (number of CPUs and max. phys. memory):

1. Standard Edition (4 CPUs)

2. Enterprise Edition (8 CPUs, MSCS Cluster)

3. Datacenter Edition (64 CPUs, MSCS Cluster)

This page gives you an overview of the features and different <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/features/comparefeatures.mspx">versions</a> of Windows Server 2003.

regards

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot, Peter

New information for me on those editions.

Is minimum 4 CPU a must if 2003 server needs to be installed ?

(this is going to be a development /demo /training environment)

Sincerely,

Kaushik Banerjee

Former Member
0 Kudos

no it reads the other way around:

Windows Server 2003 Standard edtion supports up to 4 CPUs.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

well it depends a little on your 64 Bit hardware.

we have two different platforms IA64 and X86_64.

on IA64 you can only install 64 Bit Software. The support for ia64 starts with 4.6C.

on X86_64 you can install a 64 Bit Windows or a 32 Bit Windows.

If you have installed a 32 Bit Windows you have no choice, you have to live with 32 Bit applications on it. BUT THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!

If you have installed a 64 Bit Windows on it you have the in theory the choice to install 64 Bit and 32 Bit applications on it. But not all 32 Bit applications are supported on it. Whereever SAP has released nativ 64 software on this platform we are not supporting 32 Bit on it. 64 Bit support starts with SAP Kernel Release 640. There is only one 32 Bit ABAP Server supported in productive environments on this platform: 4.6C SR2 using a 64 Bit database (if on the same box).

You will find this information in a little different form in http://service.sap.com/pam

further questions?

regards

Peter