cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIF to DP Planning Area

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Everbody,

Wishing you all in advance a great year end fun.

Understand you will be in yearend relaxing mood, request quick answers to this.

Two questions..

- What is the technical and functional difference between tRFC and CIF.

Second question related.

I wanted to know if R/3 master data can directly be CIFéd to MPOS (planning object structure). Say the objective is not to use apo data mart objects (which I understand can be done manually or thru something called LIS structures tRFC to extract data from R/3 into cubes first and then then create planning objects and dependent areas,books and views).

Though it is also understood that i can plan on any self-defined characters in DP as planning characters but largely as I imagine, these characters are subsets of Masters of R/3 (what can be possibly more than that), viz. prodt, location, region, sales area, sales org, cutomer, div, channel, custmer grp, sales grp, plant, stor loc, etc etc.. Could some one quote some planning characters thats does not exist in R/3 but may be required for demand planning in any IS scenario (in which case my concerns unfound). The concern is as I gather SNP characters shd match DP planning characteristics as a precondition to release key figures from DP to SNP and back. I tried reading some documentation but didn't quite understand this particular thing.

Does this question (CIF-ing desired master data to MPOS as characters for demand planning makes sense. If so, how do the key figures flow (logically the key figure values corresponding to a like character combinations in R/3 shd also correspond to the generated like characteristic combinations of MPOS. In this case most key figures may be even empty and and hence irrelevant for supply planning. .. am still reading the help files )

Any additional concepts relevant to this question will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Loknath Rao

Mumbai, India

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Loknath,

Let me make an attempt to respond to your queries.

1. RFCs enable you to call and execute predefined functions in a remote system - or in the same system. They manage the communication process, parameter transfer and error handling

tRFC - transactional RFC (Remote Function Call)

Link to

<a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm41/helpdata/en/22/042abd488911d189490000e829fbbd/frameset.htm">SAP Help</a>

CIF is the standard Interface which in turn uses qRFC technology for data transfer.

From <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm41/helpdata/en/84/23efe535644c4d9c92dc1abfcb3310/frameset.htm">SAP Help</a>:

Communication between SAP R/3 and SAP APO is based on the asynchronous transfer technique of queued Remote Function Calls (qRFC). This technique is used when integrating SAP APO with an SAP R/3 System, both for the initial data supply and transfer of data changes (R/3->APO), as well as for the publication of planning results (APO->R/3).

2. I understand your doubts about using R/3 master data for planning in APO-DP. Characteristic is a datamart object which can be mapped to R/3 Master data like Product (or Material), Location (or Plant), Region, Sales Area, Customer, Division etc. When you CIF the master data from R/3 to APO the corresponding Master Data gets created in APO. However in DP we are working with Characteristics and more importantly "Values" (CVCs = Characteristic Value Combinations) of the characteristics. For exmaple you have CIFed 4 products Produkt1, Produkt2, Produkt3 and Produkt4 to APO. But in APO-DP the characteristic "values" need to be only Produkt1, Produkt2, Produkt3 and Produkt4.

The most important master data in APO-DP is the CVCs - which is unique "values" of all the defined chacateristics in the Master Planning Object Structure. So a typical CVC will be like Produkt1-Customer1-Plant2-SalesArea3 an unique key of the possible master data.

SNP on the other hand needs Product and Location combination (commonly Location Product /SAPAPO/MAT1) master data. As regards mapping DP to SNP, there is a setting to map the custom Product (ZPRODUKT) and Location (say ZLOCATION) characteristic used in DP to the SNP Location-Product Master Data 9AMATNR and 9ALOCNO.

As far as Keyfigures go - it is basically transaction data. Moreover APO-DP uses only Timeseries keyfigures which can not be "filled in" using CIF. CIF transfers transaction data which can be "filled in" only Orderseries type keyfigures which is used in SNP.

Hope this clarifies your doubt.

While you are exploring and getting good understanding from the Forum posts, suggest if you can compile your learning and put them up in the relevant SCM-APO <a href="https://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=5799">SCM-APO Wiki</a> pages.

Regards,

somnath

Further links and explanation added - Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks very much Somnath for your prompt reply. The second part is definately answered partly. but could you reassure my interpretation of CVC's. Here is what i under stand

Lets say

#Plant (or Locations) = N1

#Material (or Product)=N2

#Sales Areas = N3

#Channels =N4

#Divisions=N5

#Regions=N6

The total number of relevant (unique and non-unique) COMBINATION SETS (Character Combinations) using these 6 Masters as Plannable Characters are 2^6-1=63

And the Total count of UNIQUE CValueC's in all sets = N1N2N3N4N5*N6

and I understand a Time Series is Created for these Unique CVCs in the planning area for demand planning.

What about the Non-Unique CVC's.Does generate char combs generate both Unique and Non-Unique CVC's. We can as well plan demand taking non-unique combinations as well. We might as well want to plan to different levels at different times, If not the same but via different planning books.

Are my concerns well placed or I am missing something out.. which might be misleading to understand the other relevant content area in DP and SNP later.

As regards, tRFC Vs CIF I wanted to know the utility, superioty, and applicability value of one over the other. Any way leave this apart, i got to read on this a some more to even understand the replies ::--)) I will get back on this later

Awaiting your reply

Rgds/

Loknath

0 Kudos

Hi Loknath,

I do not want to expose my weakness in Maths : ) so no comments on your total number of combination sets formulae. The method to arrive at number of all possible unique CVCs is correct though practically that maynot be the case (not all products are sold to all customers and sales areas are typically under one region and not across multiple regions).

As for timeseries creation - think of Excel. The columns are say each keyfigure, rows are CVCs and each worksheet is for each timebucket. A loose example but hopefully will help you get the idea.

CVCs by design have to be Unique. Now please note this is the lowest level of aggregation. When you are pulling products for a given Region the unique CVCs for which the Region value matches with given region are all clubbed together to roll up and display the data (keyfigures). This is planning at an aggregate (in this case at Region) level. This is easily done by selecting the approprisate aggregation/dis-aggreation level in the data selction. you need not use different planning books. Normally different planning books are used for different keyfigures and/or time bucket profiles (normally controlled in data views).

Hope this answers your current doubts.

If you believe your question is answered (you marked so) please assign points.

Thanks,

somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Loknath,

Wish you all a very happy new year in advance...

I think there is no Non-unique cvc's exist in DP as every cvc is attached with a planning object id which is unique.Yes, you can actually plan at different levels.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Jagadeesh.

Pls reward points if it helps...

Ps. Somnath: am i correct, if not pls correct me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Somnath and Jagadeesh,

Somnath, I love the way you explain things. Great help. At every step i recall those concatenations,lookups,macros,links,pivots (i am self procalimed pivot tables stud), and filters that i used to do in my 1GB spreadsheet folders (it grew like cancer in 3 years) in my hey days. At this point of time learning the application i try to "connect" what äll things i did in excel and minitab to what all things are there in DP.. as the best i know is the purpose (forecast) is the same. I hope i don't sound a level below ignorance.

Thanks and wish you all a very very happy new year.

Rgds/

Loknath

0 Kudos

Hi Loknath,

While I believe Excel is the best MS product (though it is originally an IBM product Lotus 1-2-3), you need to forget it while in APO-DP. I do realise its hard to remove it but that's what Interactive Demand Planning, the architecture around CVCs allowing easy aggregation and disaggregation and liveCache Timeseries data storage technology from SAP is supposed to deliver albeit with least effort from end user. Just think what happens if one of your customers is moving to a different Sales Area - how much of Excel debugging you need to do to correct the 1 GB spreadsheet. In APO-DP its simple - two step process called Realignment. How much does it take to do it - 15 mins at max?

Jagadeesh,

you are very correct to mention about CVCs being unique only having the planning object GUID. I guess you know this but I shall repeat for benefit of anyone else who stubles across this post in future.

Whenever you create an MPOS internally an Infocube is created. This Infocube does have a single keyfigure - Planning Object ID and the MPOS characteristics. This cube is used to store the CVCs and explains why it takes some time to activate the MPOS. You can use txn listcube >> dropdown the Infoprovider values - the name of cube is same as the MPOS with a description "Generate InfoCube for Internal Use".

From here you can display the Planning Object GUID. Don't ask me why they have such an abstract value.

Happy New Year.

Somnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

Can you please explain me the procees for "publication of planned orders from APO to R/3"?

Thanks in advance and Best Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Ergul,

This question needs to be created as a separate thread.

However, I would give you the response.

1. You can publish the planned order from APO to R/3 through transaction /sapapo/rrp4 - by clicking either "convert SNP order to PP/DS order" icon or "transfer SNP orders to R/3" icon.

2. You can also publish the planned order from APO to R/3 through transaction /sapapo/c5 by choosing order type 031.

Regards,

Murali.J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

Thanks for your explanation, actually since I am new in forums I was not totally aware of the process of forums. Next time I will create a new thread...

Coming to my question according to my understanding, transaction /sapapo/c5 is valid when you collect the data. But we are only using PPDS (no SNP) and we want to publish PPDS orders online from APO to ECC. As I read it should work when I make the necessary settings in

/sapapo/cp1 (In house production is added)

/sapapo/cp3 and (I mark as "always retransfer")

/sapapo/c4 (Recording type "default" or "do not collect changes" should be appropriate)

But it is not working... Do you know should I make some more settings... or there is something missing or wrong?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

/sapapo/c4 - it is recommended to have "do not collect changes", when you work only with PP/DS.

In addition, I noticed a config node: "Maintain Global Parameters and Default values" under PP/Ds -> Global settings in SPRO - where you need to set value "Always create transfer events" for Transfer to R/3 inhouse production parameter.

Hope you have integration models for the planned order / production order for the material.

Please check these and let us know, whether the problem still persists.

Regards,

Murali.J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

- /sapapo/c4 is maintained as "do not collect changes",

- /sapapo/rrp3 (I believe this is the transaction for "maintain Global Parameter and Default Values") is maintained as "Always create transfer events"

- I have created a IM for planned orders in R/3 (since for our assembly line we will create production order in APO I didn't create IM for production order)

It didn't work... After, I have noticed in a book that I need to set conversion indicator to the planned order in APO for transfer from PPDS. Unless the order will not be transfered. So, I tried but because of missing ATP customizing the system didn't allow me to set the conversion indicator.

In summary, for now I believe the problem is conversion indicator but I will see only after ATP customzing is done. We will work on thursday, I will let you know..

If you have some other opinions they are more than welcome as well.

Thanks a lot...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

Please maintain a separate integration model for "ATP customising" as well and try. Or else ATP customizing check box can be ticked for your "material" integration model itself.

Regards,

Murali.J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

we migrate the "ATP customizing" but there is something wrong with it, still I can not check the conversion indicator, there is an error with the ATP.

However, (I do not know how) once I accomplished to transfer the planned order from APO to R/3 once without "conversion indicator". Therefore I believe my problem about sending orders from APO to R/3 is not related to ATP or conversion indicator...

Do you have any other proposal what can be the problem about publication of planned orders from APO to R/3...

Answers (0)