cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reducing data space

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm running r/3 4.6 on sql 2000 - I have a 500GB DB - 3 mdf files - each of the files have 15GB free space - i'm lacking of disk space on my storage and want to reduce the free space from each mdf file - my question is - if i reduce the mdf file size - will the data taken be from the the free space or from the used space?

Regards,

Moshe

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If You shrink the database, all free space will be cut from *.mdf, *.ndf and *.ldf file.

If Your database has autogrow option enabled, system automatically extend database files.

Regards,

Marcin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcin,what i ment in my question was - if i reduce one of my 3 db files (my mdf files ),will it cause any problem to my db or will the reduction be made from my free space which is on my mdf file.

Regards,

Moshe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Reducing space don't cause any problem to your database. If your mdf file have size eg. 10GB and 700MB of free space, after shrink mdf will be decreased to 9,3GB.

Marcin

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Marcin,

i want to reduce the mdf file (for exaple - current mdf parameters are:15 GB - allocated,10 GB in use,5 GB are free) - I want to reduce the mdf file from the 15GB allocated to 12 Gb allocated (10gb used and 2 gb free).will this action harm my db?

and from where will the data be taken?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

No, this action don't harm Your db, it only reduce unused free space. There is 5GB unused free space in Your mdf file. You can reduce free space to 1GB, database don't need more.

Marcin