Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Calls ???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi pple,

Now it's Service call's turn.

Well would like to know why should we have to go to SERVICE Calls to access data from ECC in WDA?

Shouldnt we call the RFC Enabaled Function Module directly and create our CONTEXT ELEMENTS manually and set them manually after the Function call?

Or cant we create a custom class and code it's methods to get/set data and call this Custom Class methods as per the operation done in our WD Application?

Wanna know more Pros and Cons of Service Calls over these above mentioned two methods.

Expecting some good replies.

Regards,

<i><b>Raja Sekhar</b></i>

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sekhar,

I hope this thraed will help full for you,

Thanks and rgds,

Kamal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Kamal,

But I wanna know which approach is a better approach? Service Calls or Assistance Classes in the real time programming?

Regards,

thomas_szcs
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

It's difficult for me to give you an advise since the design of an application heavily depends on the purpose, size, business scenario, etc of/for this application.

The service calls are a high level thing. Most of the tasks are done inside of generated source code. That's good. A drawback is that the generated context might not look exactly "ui-like" or might not fit to a specific ui element, like a roadmap. On the other hand, if the application primarily uses forms and tables, the generated context will be suitable.

Direct calls to RFC enabled function modules on the other hand give you the power to do things your way. Of course, you will have to write coding by yourself to convert received data to context elements and you need to fill all the context attributes yourself. That gives you the opportunity to structure the context in way that it perfectly matches the requirements of the ui elements used.

As you can see each approach has it's cons and pros. Personally, for small applications I would use service calls whereas for large ones the second approach would be my choice.

Best regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, I too will follow your method itself.

Lastly before closing this thread, I would like to know few things more. Am atmost happy with this reply itself. But wanna get myself clarified 100% cent before closing this thread. So only am asking you further in this thread itself...

We are developing lots of Custom Infotypes and Custom stuff, so for every operation we require to write a Custom function module. Do you suggest us to create a Custom Function modules for every operation and call them directly from WDA or create a method of Assistance class as per the operation and call them from WDA?

Which one do you suggest ?

Regards,

thomas_szcs
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

In case the functionality should be reusable by different Web Dynpro components, I would go for a function module, otherwise I would just put it into the assistance class.

Best regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks a lot.

I am completely happy with your reply.

Regards,

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

thomas_szcs
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

>Shouldnt we call the RFC Enabaled Function Module directly and create our

>CONTEXT ELEMENTS manually and set them manually after the Function call?

The answer is yes.

>Or cant we create a custom class and code it's methods to get/set data and call

>this Custom Class methods as per the operation done in our WD Application?

That's possible as well. My suggestion is to combine the first and the second idea of yours and call the RFC enabled function module inside of i.e. the assitance class of your component. Then call the methods of the assistance class from within the WD component as needed.

Best regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

In that case, why should we go for SERVICE CALLS explicitly.

And in the REAL TIME Development, kindly suggest the BEST Strategy that we can opt for BACKEND access.

Regards,