cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

raw device or NTFS

hitoshi_eguchi
Explorer
0 Kudos

As far as I checked, under UNIX environment, using raw devices is recommended for LiveCache. How about windows environment ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hitoshi_eguchi
Explorer
0 Kudos

>a.) with 'SnapShot backup solution', do you mean the liveCache/MaxDB

>snapshot functionality? To my knowledge, this is not (yet) supported as a

>backup strategy.

>More information on liveCache/MaxDB backups can be found in note FAQ:

>MaxDB Administration: 846890

I mean that SnapShot is the functionality that would be provided storage vendor.

I read 846890 and 616814 and I understand that SnapShot have been supported.

Is this right?

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi again,

yes indeed, note 616814 states that you can use the Snapshot technology provided by storage vendors for backups. I was referring in my point 'a.)' to the MaxDB/liveCache Snapshot.

So you can follow that note if you want to use storage vendor Snapshots as backups.

Regards,

Roland

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

to my knowledge, there's no real recommendation for or against certain devices or file systems for Windows environments.

Do you have a specific file system in mind (NTFS vs. FAT32)?

Regards,

Rolands

hitoshi_eguchi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for response.

I am planning to implement the SnapShot backup solution for the LiveCache database and if I use file system like NTFS for database, it seems that I need to care about the contents of cash memory of NTFS. So, I questioned.

I think raw device is prefer than file system not only performance point of view but also simplification of SnapShot solution.

Do you have any comment?

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

a.) with 'SnapShot backup solution', do you mean the liveCache/MaxDB snapshot functionality? To my knowledge, this is not (yet) supported as a backup strategy.

More information on liveCache/MaxDB backups can be found in note FAQ: MaxDB Administration: <a href="https://websmp104.sap-ag.de/~form/handler?_APP=01100107900000000342&_EVENT=DISPL_TXT&_NNUM=846890&_NLANG=EN>">846890</a>

b.) on Windows systems, liveCache/MaxDB backups will work with the file system in an unbuffered way, so you don't need to take care of any file system caches.

Hope the above answer your questions.

Regards,

Roland

Message was edited by:

Roland Mallmann