Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sftp vs secure ftp in XI

dhagigeorgiou
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

We are currently trying to implement an IDOC > XI > File using ftp.

The client requires that the file transfer using the sftp protocol (ftp over ssh protocol).

What XI offers (FTPS) secure ftp is not quite the same thing. Am i correct?

If yes, then is there anyway that i can achieve sftp?

Thanks,

Dimitris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

dhagigeorgiou
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Very helpful inputs.

XI has now been configured. The problem remains with finding a reliable ftps software to be installed on the clients server.

Thank you all.

Dimitris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dimitris,

If your system is Unix/Unix Based System, pure-ftpd will come handy where you can run the FTP server in both secure as well as normal mode. as far as your requirement is concerned what i'll suggest is have a intermediate system in which ftp server is running and transform the files using secure ftp, and run a OS level script batch/shell to tranbsform the files from this location to the desired location using ssh. this is the practice which is widely practiced.

Regards,

Sundar

dhagigeorgiou
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Sundar,

Thanks for the input.

You have a point concerning the OS level script being a widely used practice.

Our XI is on Unix, the server to which we need to connect to via ftps using a file adapter is on Windows. Using ssh command from unix to windows (i think? - please correct if i am wrong) is not an option.

At this point what we are missing is an FTPS software to be installed on the windows server and a certificate to load in XI.

Regards,

Dimitris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dimitris,

if you wnat to go with secure ftp alone then its not an issue. you can install Filezilla software in windows. you can run this Filezilla software in whatever mode you want either in secure more or normal mode. Its not mandatory to load the FTP Server's certificate in XI But it is better if you load it. Configure the file adapter to communicate with that FTP server. :)......

if you want to communicate with sftp then configure XI to put the output file in the XI Box itself. you can configure Filezilla server for SSH mode also.you write a shell program which periodically picks the file in the fileshare of XI Box and send the file to Filezilla ftp server in the windows box using SSH.

Regards,

Sundar

dhagigeorgiou
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Sundar,

I will try Filezilla in the day, and i will get back to you.

In any case i want to thank you for your input and time. First ray of light in days.

Dimitris.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dimitrs,

You are always welcome. SDN is always there to equip you

Regards,

Sundar

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> What XI offers (FTPS) secure ftp is not quite the same thing. Am i correct?

Yes. FTPS is not SFTP.

May be you can try with a Server Java Proxy instead of your plain file adapter which uses open source SFTP client libraries and using that achieve the SFTP functionality.

~ Amol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Security provided by XI file adapter:

Using FTPS (File Transfer Protocol using SSL/TLS)

The application of FTPS follows specification RFC 4217.

● The SAP Java Cryptographic Toolkit is deployed.

More information: Deploying the SAP Java Cryptographic Toolkit

● The CA certificate used to sign the server certificate must be added to the TrustedCAs keystore view.

More information: Key Storage Service

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e3/94007075cae04f930cc4c034e411e1/content.htm

Regards

vijaya