cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diff between PPM and PDS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

Can anyone please let me know the differences between PPM and PDS as i'm not able to differentiate these two.

Thanks for your reply in advance.

Regards,

Jagadeesh.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jagadish,

Please find the difference between PDS and PPM.

PDS

1)Production Data Structure (PDS) in APO 3.1 & Run Time Object (RTO) in 4.0 and above versions

2)Master Data Object

3)Useful for scenarios where the component has got different validity periods

4)Used as Master data Basis for Planning in SAP-APO

5)Contains active Master data from iPPE (Integrated Product and Process Engineering) generated from a production version

6)PPDS PDS & SNP PDS can be used as master data for planning

7)Change Management, variant configuration & Phantom assemplies are supported in PDS

8)Sub-contracting in SNP is fully integrated with R/3 is supported in PDS

9)Direct transfer of SNP PDS from R/3 is possible

10)Rapid Planning Matrix can be generated

11)Not possible to maintain PDS directly in APO and can be used only in combination with R/3

12)The transfer of data changes is simpler

13)Not possible to create alternate SNP-PDS in std system for different mode combinations

14)PDS can be automatically generated from two sources ie R/3 and iPPE

PPM:-

1)Production Process Model

2)Master Data Object

3)Cannot be used for scenarios where the component has got different validity period

4)Used as Master data Basis for Planning in SAP-APO

5)Contains active Master data generated from the combination of routing (BoM & receipe) and production versions

6)PPDS PPM & SNP PPM's can be used as master data for planning

7)Not supported by PPM

8)Not supported by PPM

9)Not possible here. SNP PPMs will be generated via PPDS PPMs

10)Not possible

11)PPMs can be directly created in APO and can be modified without R/3 also.

12)Little Complex when compared to PDS

13)Alternate SNP-PPMs can be easily created

14)PPM can be generated automatically generated only from R/3

PDS is used in industries wherein there are multiple components or assemblies having diffeent production versions whose validity periods are different. PPM is being used typically in process industries, chemical industries. PPM is very simple in its usage and very flexible in operations in terms of modifications at APO level and can be referred to client depending on the business requirement.

Regards,

Nagesh.

kenneth_snyder
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vijay,

Do you remember me? How long have you been at Bristlecone?

I do have a question also about: Time-dependent parameter (can be transferred to the PDS using a Badi)?

If the Routing has time varying rates due to ECM changes, will these be visible / transferred to SNP PDS's?

How and do you have any more details on this BADI required?

Thanks,

Ken Snyder

kenneth_snyder@hotmail.com

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Pls check the Snote 1138338, this should solve your problem.

Pls confirm, Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wonder how much interest Mr. Snyder still has in this subject since 2006.

Anyhow, I found your answer interesting regardless. Thanks.

Best Regards,

DB49

kenneth_snyder
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I agree... The main advantage of PDS is that you / CIF can create SNP PDS's automatically... To update SNP PPM's from PP/DS PPM's is a pain.

In v4.1 you can not update PDS's in APO, but supposedly you can in v5.0.

PPM's have not been enhanced since v3.1 since SAP has been concentrating on iPPE's and PDS's.

I have heard issues around using SNP PDS's in v4.1 but I have not worked with them yet.

However for subcontracting, you can create them automatically:

OSS 483358 for automatically creating Product Master at subcontractors Data when CIF'ing PPM's

OSS 565024 for automatically creating PPM's at Vendor via CIF

OSS 432038 for automatically creating Product Master data at subcontractor when CIF'ing stock

Ken Snyder

Former Member
0 Kudos

A major advantage of the SNP PDS is that it can be transferred directly from SAP ECC. You can generate an SNP PDS in SAP ECC directly from the data in a routing, BOM, or Production Version. To do so, you need to choose CIF integration type SNP DPS or SNP subcontracting. The relevant SAP ECC data are then transferred to the SAP SCM, and an SNP PDS is created automatically in the SAP SCM system. Choosing SNP subcontracting automatically creates product master data in the subcontractor location (for components, too). This also automatically creates a transportation lane between plant and subcontractor (not possible when using an SNP PPM).

PDSs cannot be changed in SAP SCM. You must make and transfer changes in SAP ECC using the <i>PDS_MAINT - Change production data structure (PDS)</i> transaction.

:::Copied from SAP Education, SCM 230 Participant Handbook. Pg 113.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jagadeesh

<b>The following planning functionalities are supported by the PDS but not by the PPM:</b>

• ECM for PP/DS (including the use of phantoms)

• Subcontracting in SNP is fully integrated with R/3

• Direct transfer of SNP-PDS from R/3

• Use of object dependencies in APO

• Order-BOM and WBS-BOM

• Rapid Planning Matrix (in combination with R/3-DIMP)

<b>The following planning functionalities are supported by the PPM but not by the PDS with SCM 4.1:</b>

• Maintenance in APO. Since it is neither possible to maintain the PDS in APO nor are there any

BAPIs, it is only possible to use the PDS in combination with R/3.

• Characteristic requirements at the input node. These are mainly used in Mill scenarios to select

batches on lower BOM-levels (e.g. paper reels or steel coils).

• Push-Production

• Container resources

• Overrule the synchronisation setting of the resource on activity level

• Restrictions of the validity requirements of an order on activity level (start, end, both or neither have

to be within the validity interval)

• Alternative modes for the PDS can either be created using alternative sequences or resource classification

but not both.

• Time-dependent parameter (can be transferred to the PDS using a Badi)

Hope this will clear your doubt

Please reward points

Regards

Vijay