Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP PHP Framework

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi:

We have a WIKI entry on <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/community/sapPHPFramework">SAP PHP Framework</a>

But I think that a Forum entry is needed as well -:)

I need some name suggestions....After thinking for a while....I liked SPF....It's easy to remember and it sounds nice....Still....I want some more suggestions....The we can choose and the winner gets the 10 points for answer the question.

Who choose SPF??? Craig? Nigel?

Come on guys! I'm short of ideas -:( And English is not my mother language, so it's kind of hard for me to get a nice name....

Before the name....We're going to need a nice Logo... -:D

Greetings,

Blag.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SPF was me that's the Sunscreen you use to protect you from the sun

I would avoid phpSAPGui might be an issue with the "SAPGui" part, make sure you layout specific Blag so those of interested can jump in - I mean I was thinking you were making basic functions and libraries independent of layout and graphical display so we could "plug" in transactions into our applications and continue to work.

I would recommend the basic security and login layer to start.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> SPF was me that's the Sunscreen you use to protect

> you from the sun

Great! That's my favorite till now -;)

> I would avoid phpSAPGui might be an issue with the

> "SAPGui" part, make sure you layout specific Blag so

> those of interested can jump in - I mean I was

> thinking you were making basic functions and

> libraries independent of layout and graphical display

> so we could "plug" in transactions into our

> applications and continue to work.

That's exactly what I'm planning to do -;) That's why I wanted to be a Framework....I'm going to develop some "libraries", so anyone could easily create a transaction and plug it into the framework -:) I want to be the lead developer...not the only developer -:P

> I would recommend the basic security and login layer

> to start.

Sure, first thing to do is the Login_Class and the Authorization_Class....Having that, I could post some screen shots to show the progress...

One question....Can I use SAP Icons? As I do on my SBWP emulator??? <A HREF="/people/alvaro.tejadagalindo/blog/2006/05/17/tasting-the-mix-of-php-and-sap--volume-5 the mix of PHP and SAP - Volume 5</A>

I would develop a class to get the icons by name....like "GREEN_LIGHT_ICON"....

Greetings,

Blag.

Message was edited by:

Alvaro Tejada Galindo

Nigel_James
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SFP = in no particular order...

STANDARD PACIFIC (Stock)

Sender_Policy_Framework - great for attacking spam

Sun Protection Factor - SPF

Savills Private Finance

Scottish Police Federation

and now maybe if it get enough votes

SAP PHP Framework.

How about ... nup no ideas right now. But I am sure it should miss a few vowels and have a numeric suffix. ;O

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well Nigel...Now I'm getting confused -:( I don't the Framework to be confused with some of that names.....You know....I don't want people to think that the SDN is working along with the Scottish Police Federation.... -:P

Anyway....we got till December 31, 2006 to pick a nice name....My vote as I said before, it's still for SPF -:D

Greetings,

Blag.

Message was edited by:

Alvaro Tejada Galindo

Former Member
0 Kudos

nice. A lot of my cloths have an SPF label on it. would definitely help my altzheimer'ed mind to memorize the name of the platform.

😛

anton

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> nice. A lot of my cloths have an SPF label on it.

> would definitely help my altzheimer'ed mind to

> memorize the name of the platform.

>

> 😛

> anton

That's great! Then you can be a walking advertisement -:D

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

lol. yeah, I'll do that.

But actually I think SPF is a bit boring to vocalize.

How about you providing us with the name of a nice sounding peruvian city and we call it 'Project <i>cityname</i>'.

Or somethin like that.

Message was edited by:

Anton Wenzelhuemer

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can always change the name later "project <codename>" for now is fine

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I see this is also a great development for the OpenSourceCommunity to make use of SAP and provide Stuff. Great work!

If there is some possibility to contribute, I'd really like to help and share my know-how (20 Years of development and software architecture).

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm glad to see that there is an effort in creating a SAP PHP Framework, although I wonder there hasn´t been any posting in this thread for two weeks now.

Well I wanted to let you know that I currently started to create a SAP PHP Framwork using the Zend Framework as a basis. I already developed some applications with the ZF and i think it is a good ground to start from although the ZF hasn´t reached Version 1.0 until now.

So here is what I did:

- I took the groundwork from my last ZF project and cleaned it up so that I got a ready-to-go implementation where you only have to add the business logic and templates so that you can easily create applications like the transaction emulations that are shown in several blogs here.

- I modified the sap_classes that are included in the SAPRFC package to follow the code conventions that are used by the ZF

- Then I wrote some interface that reads your saplogon.ini to display all the sap systems and its parameters so that you can choose a system you want to operate on. If your credentials are OK (saprfc connection successful) the system is stored in a list.

- I wrote a simple interface for SO_USER_LIST_READ and RFC_TABLE_READ where you can fill in the required rfc parameters, then choose one of the previously stored successful connections and then the rfc will be executed and the results are displayed

This is yet only a pretty simple application to show how easy it is to add your own rfc functionality to the framework.

I think that we can also use this framework in our company to run several system operations/analyses while we have approximately 300 sap systems in our landscape, so there is a need for some easy to use web-based convenience applications.

If there are people that support the idea of using the ZF as a basis for this project, I (or better some of the forum leaders here) could contact the leaders of the ZF to present them the idea so that we could write an official sapfrfc component that can be added to the ZF. I guess they really would appreciate if the sap community showed interest in this framework while also IBM for example is providing some code and already developed some applications with it.

I hope I will soon find some time to write a blog about my SAPHP/ZF implementation to show you how it looks like and how to write some saprfc applications with it.

Regards,

Marc Jakubowski

PS: Oh, what a coincidence, that Alvaro just reactivated this thread while I was typing this posting ;D

Message was edited by:

Marc Jakubowski

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marc:

Thanx a lot for you comments! -:D I'm actually developing my own personal approach of the SAP PHP Framework....But as this is a Community Project, your comments and "already made frameworks" are more than welcome -:)

If you got any examples or a more detail explanation of the architecture it would be better -:D If we can take your framework and just adapted to our needs, then the work would be half finished -:D How many transaction emulations have you included???

Welcome to the team -:P

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Blag,

while the ZF is a fully functional framework that follows the MVC principle, a lot of work could be saved that would be wasted with defining and coding the program flow, directory layout etc so that we could concentrate on developing a useful and flexible component so that everyone can easily extend the frame with his own applications/transactions.

I currently only included the above mentioned RFCs to create a prototype and show you how everything works, so I am willing to provide my code to this project.

Have a look at http://framework.zend.com/wiki/display/ZFDEV/Home to get into the Zend Framework.

Sorry got to go now, more to come later

Nigel_James
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I like these ideas Marc. And I would like to hear your thoughts about ZF. How is that blog going? I would be very interested to hear about that.

Kind regards,

Nigel James

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nigel:

This is the Google Code for SPF:

<a href="http://code.google.com/p/sapphpframework/">http://code.google.com/p/sapphpframework/</a>

Marc has added some info in the WIKI label -;)

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi...

Is this project undone?

Or I can help, too?

Sorry for my poor english...

Thanx

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I just ulpoaded the last working version of the prototype I've created to http://code.google.com/p/sapphpframework/downloads/list

Due to a new job I will not be able to continue the work on this project, because I won´t have anything to do with SAP in the future. Sorry for that.

The version of the ZendFramework used in this project is very outdated so if anyone wanted to continue on this code base should first upgrade to the stable ZF 1.0 release or later.

With this code you can:

- upload your saplogon.ini to import the system information of your landscape to the application

- logon to those systems while keeping you logon data in the session

- adding the connected systems to a quicklist

- invoking two example RFCs to 1. list users and 2. read a table on the connected systems

Greets,

Marc Jakubowski

Nigel_James
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hmm ... two things? Did some posts get removed from this thread? or did I just imagine those emails I got last night?

Also... What is the purpose of the framework?

Is it to be a portal type framework where you can create an 'iView' filled with data? or is it a to be a framework to recreate existing SAP transactions that you can plug in.

IMO, the former is more attractive to me if I was trying to put content from SAP on my php run website.

Something that I could very easily take and put into wordpress, mambo, joomla, nukes, phpBB (sorry Jive), mediaWiki (sorry atlassian), typo (Gregor?)

Something that might work with seagull, symfony, Zend Framework, eZ whatever its called.

A couple of people I would like to hear from on this are 1. the zend guy who wrote a blog on SAPNet once (<a href="https://answers.sap.com/people/john.coggeshall/blog/2005/05/04/zend-and-sap-team-up-to-promote-php">John is his name</a>), 2. Björn Schotte, 3. Gregor.

The benefits of using PHP to talk to SAP is that you have some possibly existing, things that you want to talk add SAP data to. I wouldn't be adding php just because I love php. Once you have an rfc you can talk to it with a widget, jco, rails whatever.

Just a few thoughts...

Nigel

and as I wrote this Alvero posted again...

so to your points oo, mvc and scratch is ok but It would be nice to be interoperable with other things via an adaptor into their api/framework.

N

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also... What is the purpose of the framework?

The purpose of this framework is to develop a R/3 inside PHP.

Is it to be a portal type framework where you can

create an 'iView' filled with data? or is it a to be

a framework to recreate existing SAP transactions

that you can plug in.

IMO, the former is more attractive to me if I was

trying to put content from SAP on my php run

website.

If we do this framework flexible enough, then anyone could easily develop new SAP-PHP transactions and plug them into the framework extending it's functionality.

Something that I could very easily take and put into

wordpress, mambo, joomla, nukes, phpBB (sorry Jive),

mediaWiki (sorry atlassian), typo (Gregor?)

How will you put some R/3 emulated transactions inside those CMS's???

Something that might work with seagull, symfony, Zend

Framework, eZ whatever its called.

Sure, but IMHO, a framework from the scratch would be more flexible -;) At least I think so -:P

A couple of people I would like to hear from on this

are 1. the zend guy who wrote a blog on SAPNet once

(<a href="https://answers.sap.com/people/john.coggeshall/blog/2005/05/04/zend-and-sap-team-up-to-promote-php">John

is his name</a>), 2. Björn Schotte, 3. Gregor.

Yeah....I'm sad that Gregor hasn't pop up yet...I thought he was going to be happy to be a of this project....I guess Christmas got him busy -:D

The benefits of using PHP to talk to SAP is that you

have some possibly existing, things that you want to

talk add SAP data to. I wouldn't be adding php just

because I love php. Once you have an rfc you can talk

to it with a widget, jco, rails whatever.

I think that PHP was choosed, because mostly of the app emulated transactions were developed using PHP....If someone things that using Widgets or Rails would be better....Then the app's will be rewritten -;)

and as I wrote this Alvero posted again...

so to your points oo, mvc and scratch is ok but It

would be nice to be interoperable with other things

via an adaptor into their api/framework.

Sure, but as I said before....I think that creating a framework from the scratch would be more flexible...Still....I haven't any experience using existing PHP frameworks....Just some using Rails and MVC model....

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Hmm ... two things? Did some posts get removed from

> this thread? or did I just imagine those emails I got

> last night?

>

> Also... What is the purpose of the framework?

>

> Is it to be a portal type framework where you can

> create an 'iView' filled with data? or is it a to be

> a framework to recreate existing SAP transactions

> that you can plug in.

>

> IMO, the former is more attractive to me if I was

> trying to put content from SAP on my php run

> website.

>

> Something that I could very easily take and put into

> wordpress, mambo, joomla, nukes, phpBB (sorry Jive),

> mediaWiki (sorry atlassian), typo (Gregor?)

>

> Something that might work with seagull, symfony, Zend

> Framework, eZ whatever its called.

That seems like it might reach the broader audience and be an easier sell with so many ways of "recreating" a SAP transaction this seems like it would give it more of that "what's missing" - just a thought.

John from Zend has not been around in awhile I know he got extremely busy so not sure if you'll be hearing from him here.

Stoyan though who did the LV demos would be a good one to get input from.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The big question is....Who going to start the project??? What we need first is the login and authorizations classes....If we can't log in....we can't do anything else -:P And security is a big issue here...

If we're going to do an R/3 like interface....Then where are we going to store the transactions...I mean....If you type SE38 you must call SE38.php class file....Or it's going to be a dynamic call???

It's bad that John and I couldn't make an fully functional SM04.....I tried for months to delete user sessions....but I give up -:(

What else do we need to define???

Greetings,

Blag.

Message was edited by:

Alvaro Tejada Galindo

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I have created a little UML Model to show my approach to the framework....In the Classes Folder we got .class files and in the Viewers Folder we got our .php files...

<a href="http://singlepath.freecoolsite.com/SapPhpFramework.png">Blag's Framework Approach</a>

Any comments?

I'm not much experience with frameworks....I just developed one while I was studying....It's a was actually an R/3 emulation, but using PHP and MySQL....Nothing special....just some SE11 and SE16 like transactions and some "Z" applications that I develop in a R/3 project....So....I need some feedback here -:) More UML models too backup our approaches.....You know....A picture is better that a thousand words -:D

Mine of course, is just a draft....I knew you can better than that -:D

Greetings,

Blag.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The deadline for choosing the name of the project was supposed to be yesterday -:) So let's give a couple of days -;)

Again, my choise is for Craig's <b>SPF</b>....If no one else votes, then I'm going to choose that and assign him the 10 points of this question -:)

Come on! It's a name....You can vote for that, right???

I hope to see the approches for the framework soon -:D I made mine using StarUML which is free....Maybe you all can use that -:)

Greetings,

Blag.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So far, I have collected all the needed R/3 Icons in order to develop a Icons.class which is going to be just a shortcut for using icons...

Instead of having to make the complete call....IMG SRC....Call them by name like "ICON_OK"...

Greetings,

Blag.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As no one has post any comments in a while ( Including me of course -:( ) I have assigned the 10 points to Craig for it's SPF suggestion. So SPF will be the name of the framework....I'm working now on the Icons class, so I'm going to do updates in the WIKI.

This thread is going to be useful to discussions that can't be done on WIKI, so please send any comments, feedback or anything you feel -:D

Greetings and Thanx!

Blag.

0 Kudos

For a memorizeable and communicateable (=speakable name I'd avoid <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TLA">TLAs</a> (three letter acronyms). But don't worry about confusions too much - there is a finite number of them in total, and most have <a href="http://www.atomiser.demon.co.uk/abbrev/index.html">multiple meanings</a> anyway already, including being <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_three-letter_English_words">regular words</a>.

:Frederic:

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Anton: A Peruvian city??? The it could be "Lima"....Which means "Lime", so the logo could be a nice and green Lime -;)

Craig: Your right...Code Name: SPF and then, when we choose the final name, I will change it to that -;)

Frederic: I don't think I understand....You don't like TLA's??? So, "Lima" could make a nice name for you??? -:D

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

to me Trujilla sounds great (don't tell me that this is an awful city; I just judged it by the sound of it's name ) ) but Lima is nice as well.

Or maybe you acknowledge your hometown (if this is anyhow pronounceable for foreigners like us). Of course only if people there do not start big parties whenever you leave town )

Project Llama would be nice as well. If finally it doesn't work out well we could easily rename it to Project Llame.

Coming Xmas drives me a bit childish. I know. )

anton

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

How about Machu Pichu ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also avoid graphics use what you want but no offense your design sucks this framework should leave the design and visuals up to whoever us using it and not a Lime then it looks too much like several others out their using a fruit or a spice for a graphic...

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Perhaps we can get some help from DST here?

JohnA

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Anton: Actually....it's <b>Trujillo</b> -:P And it's a nice name as well....But I like "Lima" because we can use a Lime as the Logo....With Trujillo....I don't know what to use -:P Maybe I need my friend (He's from Trujillo).

"Llama" is also a great name! And a Llama cartoon can be used -;) But..."Llame"...It's means "Call" in english -:P

John: It's <b>Machu Picchu</b> -;) And it's nice also....I went to <b>Machu Picchu</b> in Cuzco early this year, and it was an awesome trip -:D

Please keep the names coming -:D The final name would be decided on Saturday 30, and the winner will get 10 points! -:O I know it's not too much...But come one...How many points can I assign on a forum question! -:P

Greetings,

Blag.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Craig: I know that my design sucks -:'( Even my bride tell me that -:'( So anyway....You're telling me not to use a Fruit as the logo....Or not to a logo at all? Don't worry....I'm not planning to design the logo myself.....Gladly I got some friends who are really good at that -;)

John: WTF DST is??? -:O That's the bad thing of not knowing English good.....I spend almost 5 months believing that IMHO was the name of a guy -:P

Greetings,

Blag.

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

DST is the Design Services Team.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Craig,

I do not agree with you on the design part of your answer (thoug I do probably concerning the fruit argument).

What folks finally buy in is some application (or framework thereof) with at least a pretty default skin. Actually, what else is great about yahoo widges but it's nice graphical appearance? All the rest iss poor old javascript, which no one would get enthusiastic about without the nice graphical frontends.

so imho, someone has to come up with some graphical skills to chip in.

just my 2 cents,

anton

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

John: Thanks -;) That would be a nice idea -:D

Anton: Your right....A nice design is need it -;) And again...My design really sucks...So I will develop the first part of the Framework (Login and main page), so anyone can jump in and make a nice layout for it -;)

Actually many people moans about "SAP" design....Because they said that is kinda boring....I liked myself, because I like the simple things of life....So, all the help is welcome -;)

Greetings,

Blag.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is what we got this far...

SPF --> Craig.
Trujillo --> Anton.
Llama --> Anton.
Lima --> Blag.
Machu Picchu --> John.
Steak --> Nigel.

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes and no Anton - we are talking Framework and we've got not much but a collection of blogs from Blag I think we need to get a foundation built first - besides any of using it should be testing how flexibility it is by "using" the framework inside of our own apps.

I think we are just getting ahead of things by thinking logo, design, graphics and names at this point.

Oh and Lima (Lime?) I saw it and immediately thought of "Lima Beans".

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Even when at this point, graphics and stuff are not important, I want to present a nice demo....not a blog demo -:D

I think choosing the name, it's important....Because at least in Google Code, you can change the name of the project....So, if I created now, I don't want to be CodeName: SPF forever.....Because I will need to create a new project when we got the final name.....And people should need to update bookmarks....the codes uploaded again....any comment would be lost.....and some other things -:)

Greetings,

Blag.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, I agree on the priority of a stable foundation, though I think one shouldn't come out without a neat finish. But let's leave that for later.

I'd like to clarify something other. OO or procedural.

When I first embarked on the Foundation Mission I sat back an created some preliminary stuff: user object, user session object, SAP system object, user-system association. Then I started to create a service registry and abstract service object templates to supply a framework for indivdual services based on a common access pattern.

I think this makes clear that I'd prefer

- OO

- some kind of (custom or trivial) MVC approach

- a service aggregation framework, hiding implementation details (RFC, webservices) and allowing to create something like composite apps and/or patchwork views on several disjoint services potentially from different systems

What's your opinions on that?

anton

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I'd like to clarify something other. OO or

> procedural.

OOP of course -;)

> - some kind of (custom or trivial) MVC approach

> - a service aggregation framework, hiding

> implementation details (RFC, webservices) and

> allowing to create something like composite apps

> and/or patchwork views on several disjoint services

> potentially from different systems

Sure, not exactly MVC, but something like that....If it's going to be a Framework, it must flexible and easy to extend -;)

> What's your opinions on that?

I agree...Some kind of of MVC should be better. Can you give us some advice on how to start? Use an existing framework or develop on from the scratch?

Greetings,

Blag.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So...What are we going to do???

We got this choices:

• Procedural programming.

• OOP Programming.

• Standard programming.

• MVC Model

• Using an existing framework (Seagull, Cake)

• Start a framework from the scratch

My choices are:

• OOP Programming.

• MVC Model.

• Start a framework from the scratch.

I think Anton agrees with me, so what the others think???

Greetings,

Blag.

0 Kudos

This sounds like a really nice thing. I'd like to contribute when I can

I'm a bit unsure about the project focus. Is it providing a "framework", i.e. library routines to be used by other scripts, or is it somewhat of a replacement for sapgui?

If the latter, I'd choose something in line of phpMyAdmin, phpLdapAdmin.... phpSapAdmin? phpSapGui? Sure, it's not so artistic, but rather descriptive.

:Frederic:

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Frederic:

Of course your are welcome to contribute....Project is going to start on January 1st....So there's still time for some ideas....When I start the project, I'm going to update the WIKI, so all of you can make more suggestions, send me new "transactions" and stuff.

My plans are to make the latter. A framework where you can use any of the existing SAP/PHP emulated transactions (SE38,SE11,SWBP)....But also, it would be customizable, so people could easily create new transaction emulations to be included on the framework.

That way, you could access SAP from your home and perform some tasks from a PHP environment -;)

I was checking the existing PHP Frameworks like Seagull and Cake....But I really don't want to use them...Because I want to develop a flexible framework and not depend from an existing one....Is going to be hard of course....But as long as I don't have a deadline for the project....I think it's going to be better that way.....

But of course, I'm open to suggestions, and if someone convince me of the benefits of using an existing framework to develop this framework....I can change my mind -;)

From all you suggestions I kinda like PhpSapGui....Maybe PSG?

Greetings,

Blag.