cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jcontrol.exe won't start, installation WAS6.40 sp9 stops

Former Member
0 Kudos

L.S.

I have downloaded the marked 'new' SAP Netweaver enterprise portal on MAxdb, developer edition Sneak Preview and tried to install it on my laptop.

After several bumps in the road I got 98% of the WAS6.40 done but the installation stops at 'Start SAP J2EE Engine' . Looking in SAPMMC I find proces jcontrol.exe is stopped and won't start again. I need this up and running fast, because I (and several colleges) need this to prepare for the TEPD20 course starting in March.

I Searched SDN and Googled my way through the net, but nothing there that helped. I tried so far:

- reinstall everything again.

- Setting my regional settings to English

- Uninstalling Microsoft Virtuel machine

Does anyone have any idea how to get this running?

Btw I have j2sdk1.4.2_07 installed, and 2GB ram.

Regards,

Hans van der Kooij

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The delays are incremental - on a 'live' system and on the sneak preview.

The first time (at 98%) when it tries to start the J2EE engine, wait at least 8 to 10 minutes before suspecting an error.

With the EP install, wait longer (as you have seen) - it could be up to 20 minutes for a successful start.

KM can take longer again.

TREX? - I gave up on that one.

If you are using the latest Sneak Preview (Dated early Jan, 2005) you may need to patch EP - the system will crash with any kind of weird error without warning.

We have found that clearing browser cache and cookies and restarting the server (cold start) works both on sneak preview versions and live EP6 SP9 SR1 installations.

Former Member
0 Kudos

How ironic. Just after I post, I finally get it to work.

Here's what I did:

1. Get the installation to the point of Starting J2EE server, at which it fails.

2. Open the server configuration tool, which can be found at /usr/sap/J2E/JC00/j2ee/configtool

3. Once you get the config tool happily talking to SapDB, change the values for Max Heap from 1024MB for the J2EE server (server_IDsomebignumber) to 512MB. You also need to change the vm parameters box to decrease the -Xms param to 512MB as well.

4. Make the same changes on the "Servers General" tab of the instance_IDsomebignumber node.

Once I decreased the amount of heap size allocated by the servers I was able to start them successfully using the SAP Management Console

5. Start the installer again, and continue the existing installation. It finishes successfully.

It seems to me that SAP could fix this problem just by changing the default heap sizes for the servers. I would suggest that they should.

AC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alan,

Thanks for your help. I first overlooked the Max heap parameter, but after I found it I implemented the changes as indicated. Only the VM parameter box I could not find. I did see -Xms1024m and changed it to -Xms512m. Was I correct?

I also changed these settings on the "Servers General" tab of the instance_ID... Then I started SAPMMC and stopped/started it, but no succes. Any new ideas? Anyone else?

Btw Below a snipped of the developers trace (SAPMMC) of jcontrol.exe:

[Thr 2084] Tue Feb 15 11:23:59 2005

[Thr 2084] *** ERROR => invalid return code of process [bootstrap_ID4163150] (exitcode=-2) [jstartxx.c 1433]

[Thr 2084] JControlExecuteBootstrap: error executing bootstrap node [bootstrap_ID4163150] (rc=-2)

[Thr 2084] JControlCloseProgram: started (exitcode = -2)

[Thr 2084] JControlCloseProgram: good bye... (exitcode=-2)

Hans

Message was edited by: H van der Kooij

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

see also the following thread:

Former Member
0 Kudos

<b>IT IS WORKING!!!</b>

This s what I did:

Uninstalled everything!

Installed SDK1.4.2.6 instead of 1.4.2.7

Started the installation, but changed the max heap size from default 1024 to 512 as recommended on SDN (but previously did not help).

The installation run with some error reporting, but continued to go on. At 98% it stopped the J2EE engine and tried to start it again. This time it succeded after about 5 minutes. I was very much surprised to see it all running, and I don't want to ask why. I think the most importend part was setting the heap size during installation, not after the error occured. <b>So thank you all (specially Alan) for the help.</b>

Now I still have to install the portal. So I may need your help later on.

High regards, Hans

p.s.

Installation of the portal also went well, took about 15 minutes for the engine to start up again after being stopped, but it did. There was no way to tell on which drive the installation had to take place, but apparently it takes the same drive as the WAS (D:) and that’s what I wanted.

Message was edited by: H van der Kooij

Former Member
0 Kudos

Alan you are a star!

Thanks for the tip it works perfectly now on J2SE 1.4.2_07.

Jonathan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Same here! Thanks!

I've been at it for four weeks... Tried everything. SDN, OSS notes, uninstalling the J2EE, uninstalling MAXDB (the hard way... DOS all the way), editing the Java parameters with the console...

Now, it all comes down to a ridiculous WRONG setting in the Quick Installation Guide (Quick indeed...). 1024 should be 512. That's all. AAAARGH!

Now, it's no problem at all. <sigh>

Message was edited by: Edwin Vleeshouwers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am getting this error when i try to run SAP J2EE Server ( jcontrol.exe ) from SAP MMC:

This from Developer Trace Log:

[Thr 228] Tue Mar 22 18:46:22 2005

<b>[Thr 228] *** ERROR => JStartupIGetJDKInfo: Cannot find Java class file [./JdkDetection_3312.class]. [jstartxxi.c 899]

[Thr 228] *** ERROR => can't get JDK information (rc=-1) [jstartxxi.c 1096]

[Thr 228] *** ERROR => node [bootstrap] not found [jstartxx.c 1388]</b>

[Thr 228] JControlExecuteBootstrap: error executing bootstrap node [bootstrap] (rc=-18)

[Thr 228] JControlCloseProgram: started (exitcode = -18)

[Thr 228] JControlCloseProgram: good bye... (exitcode=-18)

This is looking liek similar error. And i tried changing Heap size and restarted. But no luck.

Could any one please me in this regard please

My Environment :

SAP: NetWeaver 6.0, WAS 460

And i downloaded from sdn.sap.com

Thanks,

Chandu

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same problem with XP and J2sdk 1.4.2_06. Tried XP SP1, XP SP2, uninstall, reinstall, etc.

The underlying server process is complaining about being unable to allocate memory for object heap. So I believe this is a variation on the linear address space referenced in various posts about WAS 6.x.

I know SAP doesn't officially support XP for NetWeaver, but do you want developers to choose between a five-year-old operating system and an expensive server operating system just so they can install it? Doesn't make a great first impression.

If anyone has info on how to resolve this on XP, I too would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

AC