cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance of J2ee Application running in Portal Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have developed the J2ee Application using JSPDynPage and the performance of this Application is going down day by day.

It is taking arround 30 sec to load the page.Sometimes I am getting iView Timed out error if the Load is Very high.

This is all happening in Production server.Can any one please help me to increase the Performance of the Portal.

Thanks in Advance

Ajay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member197561
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Ajay,

if the system is going slower and slower but recovers after restart, please check the GC logs and see if frequency and duration of GC activity does not increase over time. It coulod be the case that the high CPU usage is due to GC constantly running.

If yes, then you have a memory leak and you need to apply http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Java/Java+Memory+Analysis

to identify the leaking objects.

There is another possibility : you have concurrency issues and threads are falling into endless loop one after the other, by this making new requests impossible to run becasue all CPU is busy with the endless loops. If this is the case - a sequence of few (5-10) thread dumps, taken in interval of 1-2 minutes could help you - if same threads are runing sams functions, then it is an endless loop. The unprotected method which causes the loop need to be changed (i.e. code-change).

Best Regards,

Sylvia

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

martin_moser
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Ajay,

You may also want to make thread dumps when the system is stuck in the high load phase again to identify the bad guy who is running all the time and consuming the CPU.

Cheers,

Martin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Since this is your custom application, you need to talk to the developer who wrote it. Normally, it is the case of inefficient programming such as table accesses without using indexes, nested loops, etc. The developer needs to tune the application.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response.

There is no problem in the application as i know the code in this application is perfectly fine.

There will be huge load on monday that too between 9-11 AM as too many people will be doing the the Database transactions at that point of time (adding the data in to the DB extracting huge amount of data from DB) the CPU usage in the porduction server will reach 90 % to 99 % and it will never come down ...this will again come to the normal situation when we restart the portal database.

But every monday i cannot restart the server as this is in production.

Can anyone please give some tips to increase the performance of the portal.

Thanks

Ajay

kohlerm
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

> Thanks for the response.

>

> There is no problem in the application as i know the

> code in this application is perfectly fine.

>

> There will be huge load on monday that too between

> 9-11 AM as too many people will be doing the the

> Database transactions at that point of time (adding

> the data in to the DB extracting huge amount of data

> from DB) the CPU usage in the porduction server will

> reach 90 % to 99 % and it will never come down

> ...this will again come to the normal situation when

> we restart the portal database.

>

> But every monday i cannot restart the server as this

> is in production.

>

> Can anyone please give some tips to increase the

> performance of the portal.

Have you checked your Garbage Collector log file ?

I posted some hints about how to do that in the thread "Server Performance Issue" in this forum.

I could be that you are running out of memory after the heavy load and then everything will be slow afterwards, because full GC's might be triggered frequently.

Regards,

Markus

>

> Thanks

> Ajay