cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

alternative to "LODRUN" for starting Prepare

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

We are planning to do an upgrade from Bw3.1 C to BI-NW04s SR2. We downloaded the latest upgrade guides. The upgrade guide states that to start the prepare for the first time, you have to run the following command from the DVD-LODRUN DEV(*OPT) DIR('UMN_OS400_PPC64/UPGRADE'). We were wondering, if there is an alternative to this command since our server is in a remote location. To run this command, we would first have to send the DVD to the remote center.

Can't we copy the upgrade master DVD to the IFS using our mapped drives and then do something about it, I mean using a alternative command to LODRUN. I think what this command is doing is creating the upgrade directory and loading the SAPup library. Is there something for it?

Thanks

Abhi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

If you can convert the DVD into bin format, would you consider using image catalog and virtual OPT device?

You can create image catalog for PTF CD-ROMs as below.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/index.jsp

(i5/OS and related software->Maintain and manage i5/OS and related

software->Use software fixes->Install fixes->Step 3:Choose your fix

installation scenario->Install fixes from an image catalog).

With same method, you should be able to to create an image catalog for the SAP upgrade master DVD, load it to a virtual OPT device, then LODRUN againt that virtual OPT.

Good luck,

Victor

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

you can also copy the UM-DVD (or required part of it) to IFS and start PREPARE like stated in Note 661569:

- CPYFRMSTMF FROMSTMF('<cdroot>/UM1/0S400/AS400/UPGRADE/LODINST') TOMBR('/QSYS.LIB/QTEMP.LIB/LODINST.FILE')

- RSTOBJ OBJ(LODINST) SAVLIB(QTEMP) DEV(*SAVF) SAVF(QTEMP/LODINST)

- CALL PGM(QTEMP/LODINST) PARM('<cdroot>/UM1)

When you call the program LODINST, make sure that the parameter is filled with enough spaces (>100).

Instead of <cdroot> you can use your IFS-Path.

Regards

Guido

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guido/Victor,

Thanks for the response.

Victor, This process is kind of cumbersome..but will try...Thanks a lot for it.

Guido, I saw this, but I was not sure if I can use this note for NW04s SR2, as this is based on kernel 7.00 and this note talks about 6.40 release.

Guess should still work, as these commands have nothing to do with the Kernel release, these are AS400 commands. The only difference is with this release the library is SAPup instead of R3up.

Am I right in this assumption?

Thanks Guys

Abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

yes it will also work for NW04s.

It is independent from any kernel.

You should run these commands as QSECOFR or similar.

Regards

Guido

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am trying the option mention by Guido from SAP Note 661569 but i am getting following errors at third step CALL PGM

Error:

Path name contains embedded nulls

Could any one please help me in this to resolve?

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,

Shafi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Send us the full path for the call pgm command:

CALL PGM(QTEMP/LODINST) PARM('<cdroot>/UM1),

what is the PARM you are passing?

Send us that...

Thanks

abhi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhi,

Thanks for reply!!

Not sure what was the exact problem but i guess its issue with spaces... it went thru successfully after entering parameter with spaces more than 100.

Regards,

Shafi