cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critical File(s) in Netweaver Java EE 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could anyone who is familiar with Netweaver Application Server Java(TM) EE 5 Edition answer this?

Normally, in any software, there will be a few important files which form the core

For eg.,. in WebLogic Server, config.xml is very important and central configuration file

Any important file(s) in the Netweaver ? Also, please provide the exact URLs for this

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

You have given the Installation Root (which is C:\SAP\JP3 in my case)

But I want the names of some of the important files. I skimmed through the documentation but could not find any mention

The other method you suggested Robin, will not work for me. We already have a tool and we need to give the file names. Thats it

There will surely be some files without which Netweaver cannot function

Regards,

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad!

In that case I would propose C:\usr\sap\JP1\SYS\profile\DEFAULT.PFL as a file to look for. The part JP1 is rather dynamic and always depends on the concrete system you are analysing. The default for the first installation is JP1. For the second it is JP2 and so on. If your tool supports regular expressions you might search for a path like [code]^C:
usr
sap
[A-Ba-b][0-9]{0,2}
SYS
DEFAULT.PFL$[/code]

Best Regards,

Robin

Message was edited by:

Robin De Silva Jayasinghe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad!

Basically each default installation of the Java EE 5 Server is located in a directory called c:\usr\sap\JP1. However, this might change if you leave the default installation path or have another version installed. Additionally to that I am not sure if your approach is very promising because you would have to have network-shares of all machines in your network.

I think it would be easier to write a small tool that tries to contact each server in your network on port 56008. This is the port of our Telnet administration console. If you receive an answer containing: "Telnet Administration SAP Java EE Application Server v7.10" there is a Netweaver Java EE 5 Edition installed. Of course this will only work in an intranet environment.

Best Regards,

Robin

Former Member
0 Kudos

The motive is to discover SAP Netweaver software. The tool I'm using requires the input of a few important file names , which indicate the presence of SAP Netweaver among a network of hosts

I need the names of a few important files (could be JAR files, or XML files or anything) without which the software cannot function

0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

Did you consider a situation in which only the few critical files on which your tool relies to determine software presence are available and the rest of the server is gone?

The server is a complex software system and it is arguable to determine that you have it or not based on several pieces of it.

And the fact if it is working correct or working at all (besides if it is installed or not) is yet another, completely different issue that the software packages presence does not verify (at most their absence can verify that the software is not working ).

SAP offers a very sophisticated monitoring infrastructure that can be integrated as part of the IT landscape. You can take a look here: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/8d/a20e4249fc5433e10000000a155106/frameset.htm . You might consider it if you have at least one SAP system (with ABAP engine) installed.

I understand that you have explicit requirements and as Robin suggested you can use any startup profile as critical file for your tool (as the system would not start without it).

Please keep in mind also that the installer gives you the flexibility to change the installation location and you can't expect that everything is installed on C:\ .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

My tool requires me to input all the folders/files of the software system, starting from the installation root. I need to also add description for each of the files/folders

But, out of those hundreds of files/folders, I need to input the "Indicator Files" , so that the program will initially see the possibility of the presence of that software, and incase it is present, it will go ahead and discover all the files/folders

The case you mentioned can be found after running the discovery process, which shows some empty folders. That is not a problem.

Here, I would appreciate if you could give me some useful URLs which describe each file/folder in the SAP Netweaver Java EE 5

One more thing, my instance has C:\SAP and there are 2 folders "DevStudio" and "JP3" beneath this. Is the folder name always JP1 or 2 or 3? Can we

hard-code this?

Also, after installation, I found some entries in the Registry (My system is Windows-XP SP2). HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/SAP/JP3 and SAPDBTech. Can I use these as Registry Indicators, meaning, the presence of these things in the Registry indicates the presence of this software

My main point is, I should discover only the "SAP Netweaver Java EE 5 software" and not any other SAP stuff

Regards,

GVS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad!

> 2 folders "DevStudio" and "JP3" beneath this. Is the

> folder name always JP1 or 2 or 3? Can we

> hard-code this?

As I tried to show with my regular expression above, this part of the path is dynamic and depends in case of the Java EE 5 Edition on the number of times you have tried to install the software. So your tool should be able to handle this dynamically. Below that level I am not sure which files seperate the Java EE 5 Edition from for example NW 2004S. But maybe this will help you a bit:

If you have an installation of NW 2004S somewhere around you can make an recursive directory scan, pipe it to a file. Do the same with Java EE 5 Edition to another file. Then you can diff over the two files and will see which are main differences between the two types of installation.

Best Regards,

Robin

sid-desh
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

What is the motive. Can you please describe that. Maybe then the community can provide some answer.

Thanks and Regards

Sidharth Deshpande