cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing Heap Size not possible

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I´ve installed a Web AS 6.40 SP09 Dev. Workplace on a Windows XP Professional machine with 2 GB RAM.

Unfortunatly I cannot use more than 640 MB for the server process of Web AS. When I set the heap size to a value > 640 MB the server process does not start anymore (status -2).

In SAP Note 736462 I read that I have to rebase the Windows DLLs because for Xmx + MaxPermSize there has to be a contiguous space in memory. To do the DLL rebasing I have to order a passcode from SAP via an OSS ticket.

Is the clustered memory really the reason for my problem and isn´t there an easier way to solve it?

Thanks in advance

Helmut

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Helmut,

Yes, the cause of the problem is exactly that described in the note you mentioned. And this is the only solution... Or you have to set less heap size, which obviously is not satisfactory in your case. Sorry for the bad news

Best regards,

Vladimir

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vladimir,

this is not the answer I wanted to hear but if there is no other way I have to do the job

Thank you anyway.

Helmut

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello all,

i am also running on Windows XP Professional machine with 2 GB RAM. i had installed nw04 GA version, which i think is sp1, and also the latest developer sneak preview version, which is is sp6 or sp7. i was able to set the "max heap size" to 1024mb for the server process, and -Xms768m, -Xmx768m in the java params.

on another windows 2003 server running sp10, i can set "max heap size" to 1280mb, and -Xms1024m, -Xmx1024m.

but what i found was on the less powerful xp machine, setting a bigger heap size doesn't necessarily result in better response time.

anyway, i'd suggest that you apply sp10 if possible. i've found some problems with sp9 that makes me wonder if it is a viable patch at all. basic things like jaas login module doesn't even work with sp9. sp10 fixed it and works like a charm for me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank You to all.

I'm a newbie using SAP and Sap web site.

Can tell me the URL for find the SAP note 696410 ? and where i can download SP10 ?

I'm looking for it in this site (www.sdn.sap.com) but i haven't find it

ty again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roberto,

You get notes from http://service.sap.com/notes

You need a Service Market account to be able to login to the link (provided above).

Regards,

James

kyo_choi2
Participant
0 Kudos

Has anyone tried with 64bit CPU with 4GB memory?

Another thing is in the Visual Admin all three settings for Max Heap Memory needs to considered: instance, dispatcher and server.

Message was edited by:

kyo choi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you send me url or info about change memory configuration for WAS 6.40?

I have outofmemory error during deploy...

thank you

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

you can increase heap size with the config tool:

cluster-data/instance_ID50

In your case you will probably have to increase -XX:MaxPermSize to the value of 192m.

This is a recommended value in Portal environments if the out of memory error occurs. I´ve been also told by an SAP employee to set this parameter in Web AS to 192m.

PermSize is used to hold the class definitions and if you deploy new applications (classes) it could be that this space is too small.

Regards

Helmut

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ty Helmut,

but the value is just 192m

-Djava.security.policy=./java.policy

-Djava.security.egd=file:/dev/urandom

-Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBClass=com.sap.engine.system.ORBProxy

-Dorg.omg.CORBA.ORBSingletonClass=com.sap.engine.system.ORBSingletonProxy

-Djavax.rmi.CORBA.PortableRemoteObjectClass=com.sap.engine.system.PortableRemoteObjectProxy

-Djco.jarm=1

-Dsun.io.useCanonCaches=false

-XX:NewSize=96m

-XX:MaxNewSize=96m

-XX:MaxPermSize=192m

-Djava.awt.headless=true

-XX:PermSize=192m

-XX:SurvivorRatio=2

-XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=90

-XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1

-Xms876m

-verbose:gc

-XX:+DisableExplicitGC

-XX:+PrintGCDetails

-XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps

-XX:+UseParNewGC

Any other suggestion?

Thank You

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

have a look at SAP Note 696410 or similar ones. Maybe you'll find the answer there.

Regards

Helmut