cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Container Variables not getting populated in Alerts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We are using XI 3.0 SP16 and we have the following problem.

We are firing alerts through BPM in some scenarios. The alert/mail that is being sent has some container variables which are to be filled at run time with the values.

But the values are not getting populated in the alert.

For eg:

If we give the variable &SXMS_MSG_GUID& in the alert long text,

we are getting

SXMS_MSG_GUID not found in the actual alert/mail.

Regards,

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravi,

There is a difference in the alerts triggered from a BPM and from a non BPM.

For alerts from a BPM, you would need to Select DYNAMIC TEXT in the Alert category in ALRTCATDEF then use variables from the BPM. Please refer to this blog for more info,

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/03/13/alerts-with-variables-from-the-messages-payload-xi--updated

For non BPM alerts, no need to select Dynamic text. If your non BPM alerts have container variables that are not getting filled, then check if note 835031 is implemented in your server,

Regards,

Bhavesh

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

Thanks for the quick reply.

But the problem is that we did not define container variable(that is used in the long text) in the bpm (as mentioned in blog).

We have the container variable defined in ALRTCATDEF transaction.

We have the long text also defined in the trasaction only (Not in the BPM).

Can you tell me what might me the problem?

Thanks,

Ravi

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravi,

When triggering the Alert from the BPM, you would need to define Container variables in the BPM and use them from your BPM itself ( and that is why you select Dynamic text ) in the Long text of the BPM's .

if you look into the blog by Michal , you will see that he has selected DYNAMIC TEXT in the Alert Catgeory. <i><b>The moment you select Dynamic text, long text and short text will not be available and so will the container variable tab!</b></i>

So, whatever value you want to pass to the Final Alert from the BPM will need to have a container variable defined in the BPM for it, value assigned to it and then used in the text of the Control (throw Alert) step of the BPM.! Michal's blog has all steps needed.

Hope this clears!

Regards,

Bhavesh

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

I understand that is a workaround, but my question still remains:

Why is it not getting populated when it is given as a provision in ALRTCATDEF?

We Define a container varaible in the Container tab, and use it in the long text.

There are some values that are not available in the BPM, which would be available only in ALRTCATDEF (like the message ID generated by XI system).

In such cases, i have to define them as container variables in the ALRTCATDEF only. Or the Container and long text that we see here has a different meaning altogether?

Regards,

Ravi

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravi,

That is not a WorkAround at all! That is how alerts from BPM are to be used.

AFAIK, the throw Alert step in the BPM will call the Function Module SALERT_CREATE that will trigger this alert. Now this SLAERT_CREATE FM will take the values you pass to it from the BPM and will not fill the value dynamically!!

Alerts from the alert monitoring server and Alerts from BPM are different.

If you need to access the details like message Id, etc they can ofcourse be accessed from the BPM ( you would need a dummy mapping plus some java code explained in the link given below ) and then use a container varaible and assign these values against them and then use them in the Alert from BPM. But, the blog is the correct way to use Alerts from a BPM!!

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/b3/9a2aeb24dc4ab6b1855c99157529e4/content.htm

Hope this clears!

Regards,

Bhavesh

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhavesh,

Assuming that it IS the correct way to pass the variables to the alert message,

What is the purpose of the container and the variables that we define in the container, in ALRTCATDEF?

REgards,

Ravi

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravi,

They are used when you are <b>using Alerts without BPM.</b>

In case you have the Alerts without BPM set up ( Alert Category , Alert Rules etc ) and any error occurs in XI , then the Alert Monitoring Server will trigger the Alert and now, the container variables and the long text and short text will be used.

For this , please refer to this blog,

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/09/09/xi-alerts--step-by-step

Hope this does clear things

Regards

Bhavesh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

STALANKI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you want to access the message id from ccBPM check this!

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/11/xi-how-to-retrieve-messageid-from-a-bpm