cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need solution for Remote printing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We have a SAP setup over WAN, users are in Korea and the application servers are in India. Network performace using "ping" shows 32bytes for 325ms (ave). We feel the printing performance is very bad.

There are 2 types of access method being used - (1) with access method "F" and (2) with access method "U". All printers are high speed HP deskjet.

While printing we encounter following problems (1) slow printing (2) printing stuck even though there are free spool processes and no network break (3) logs dont show any error (4) there are time gaps between pages for same spool.

What tunning can be done for better performance. Is there any way to setup a local (in Korea) server where SAP spools can be dump from the application servers and then print as and when required.

Please help, we need it urgently.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The solution provided by 'Eskimo' for transfering spool server to Korea sounds good.

If you don't want to do that, then you should configure "Logical Spool server" for your 15 app servers. Also use Output Management system (like Dazel or OM Plus) to simplify the remote printing.

Thanks,

Bharat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bharat,

New application server in Korea with spool service and stop all other spool service - is something very illogical. Users from different locations will suffer and do you consider this to be a good setup.

But you sound too interesting and meaningful with second option. Please share more on the next option. Where can I find some documents on this.

With Regards,

Abhijeet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with you shifting spool server to Korea is not very logical solution, that's why I thought about telling you another option.

a). Logical Spool server : Logical spool server can be created by 2 physical app servers/ 1 app & 1 logical spool server / 2 logical servers. They can be created in SPAD.

Now you need to create a binary tree of spool servers, whose all bottom child nodes will be your 15 physical app servers.

The top most node will be the "main Logical spool server". In between there can be many other subordinate logical spool servers.

Then assign this topmost main logical spool server in the tree to all your "Output devices" using mass assignment of spool server.

Now, any request coming from output devices will be load balanced request and even if any physical app server fails, printing will not get affected. There are many other advantages of logical spool server.

Please refer the link below for all info:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/d9/4a994e51ea11d189570000e829fbbd/content.htm

b) Output Management system(OMS) : When you use output management system, no need to specify the actual IP address in "Host Printer" field.

You can find info on OMS on link below:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/d9/4a943c51ea11d189570000e829fbbd/content.htm

OMS simplify many network problems by encrypting/compressing data over network. In my previous project we used "Dazel" OMS. But "OM Plus" is also used widely.

There are many such 3rd party solutions are available, you can check on the internet. Finally its you & your PMO decision, which solution is suitable for your project as additional cost involved in that.

Please reply if you find this logical or still have questions.

Please award points accordingly.

Thanks,

Bharat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhijeet,

If I understand correctly as to what you want to achive then the solution is pretty simple.

Whenever you are executing something which will generate spools you will get a screen for configuring the spool. Here you will find spool options tab strip. In this tab strip you can uncheck the checkbox print immediately.

Try this out and let me know if it worked.

Please award points accordingly.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

Nope you did not get me.

This are some basic things which end users also know. What I want is - SAP spools to be transfered or saved in any Non-SAP local server and then print when required.

Hope you understand what I want.

With Regards,

Abhijeet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abhijeet,

Print servers are the servers to which the printers are physically attached.

To find the print server for a particular printer go to SPAD,then select the printer,doucble click on it. GO to tabstrip HostSpoolAccess method. There look for the entry in destination host field. There is no print server for front end printers : Type F.

SAP spool server dispatches spool requests to print server based on the printer you have selected for output and then it directs it to the printer.

So basically you need to see if you are print servers are able to handle load or not. Also you can check the network connection between SAP servers and print servers.

I hope that is helpful.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

I understand you and we have the same setup. Access method "F" with Host printer as "__default". Access method "U"/"S" with Host printer as the IP address of the local PCs (with which the printers are attached and shared).

What I need to know - is there any mechanism by which we can transfer/save the spools from SAP server to a local Server in Korea and then print as/when required ?

With Regards,

Abhijeet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

you could install a new APP Server in Korea and give this APP Server mainly SPO Work Processes, than remove all SPO work proccesses from your other 15 APP Servers in India. Than all Spool requests should be handled by your new APP Server in Koera.

Please make sure to adjust your Spool Server in SPAD accordingly.

regards

Nesimi

Message was edited by:

Nesimi Buelbuel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Abhijeet,

This set up of servers in India and users in Korea should work successfully if implemented successfully.

We have all our servers located in one location in Europe while printing is being carried out successfully all over Europe.

Check the print servers (which should be in Korea) first. How is network connection between SAP servers and print servers. How good are the print servers at handling the load. When you say you have free spool processes and still printing speed is bad then it points to the fact that print servers are not able to handle to load.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

try using saplpd.

It will be faster.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

It seems you got my problem and you are working for the same type of environment.

Let me tell you first, we have 15 application servers with 3 Spool Services in each. We have high speed heavy duty desktop printers (HP Laserjet) attached with PCs, using access type "U" and "F" with SAPLPD (now replacing SAPLPD with SAPSPRINT).

As you say "Check the print servers (which should be in Korea) first. How is network connection between SAP servers and print servers.", this is what I want know.

What do you mean my PRINTER SERVERS ? How can I set this type of setup ? Can we transfer/save the spools from SAP server to a local Print Server in Korea and then print as/when required ?

With Regards,

Abhijeet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I think the application servers should have been in Korea as most of the users were in Korea. There would be an unnecessary network load. Check with the Networking staff if the bandwidth of the connection can be increased.

Hope that helps