cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect characters on some HP printers using POST2 driver

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are getting very strange errors on some models of HP printers. We chose to use postscript as our standard printing language in order to try to get as near identical output across our range of 100-odd different printer models across our company.

However, on some HP printers (so far LJ1300,LJ2200,OfficeJet3030) we get weird mispelt words. A ghostscript view of the source postscript file shows it correct, but on these printers we get the last letter of certain words changed to the preceding letter of the alphabet. For example 'Dear Madam' becomes 'Dear Madal' and 'Sheet' becomes 'Shees'. It usually only affects one or two words on each document.

We are using the POST2 printer driver for all such printers. Presumably it is caused by some fault in certain firmware levels of HP's printers, but has anyone seen this before, and got a workaround?

All of these printers have postscript dimms which are not upgradable (so far as I can tell) - and certainly not by a downloadable upgrade - which means expensive printer replacement to fix the issue in hardware.

I'm struggling to switch to PCL now, because when we do that we have big page registration and offset issues - which would mean a redesign of many of our forms.

Any clues?

Thanks, Andy.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

...looks like old question,..

but note 538765 should help

Regards,

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We did just run into this issue ourselves when printing W-2's via POST2 to an HP 8100. Out of 7500 or so W-2's printed, we had two people report that their last name was misspelled, and in this case it was shifting a T to an S. There might have been others, but only two were reported. I looked at Note 538765, but that Note implies that the issue is resolved in our kernel release (7.00). I subsequently found that if I redirect the output for one of the problem W-2's to a non-HP printer (a Canon IR5070), the printout is perfect.

--Matt