cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI and soware development practices

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I choose the tool for development process.

What do I need?

1. Version Control

2. Automated build server that will build my application (for example daily), run my JUnit test and send reports to Development Group

I consider

- Subversion + Cruise Control

- NWDI

Could NWDI (CBS) solve my problem? Is it possible for CBS to perform some activity for build (like running JUnit tests)?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

wrong post, deleted

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

NWDI consists basically of DTR, CBS and CMS. DTR gives you the version control. CBS gives you the build server. CMS offers transport (automatic deployment) and logistics. The whole toolset already enforces a specific development process (activating & releasing changes, who is responsible for transports/consolidation/etc.). If your target platform is NetWeaver you should definitely consider this. It is rather good integrated and make some things very easy once you get used to it.

I'm in favour of using the best tool for a job and the best tool may often be that which the developer is most familiar with. If you just want to build J2EE stuff, NWDI might be a bit too much and too unfamiliar, but you should compare the tools in more detail.

E.g. since you mention subversion: DTR uses the concept of changelists (like Perforce, etc.) and you use only one local working copy. There are no branches but you use multiple "workspaces" (since data is stored in a database this does not duplicate data). Conceptionally DTR and subversion are quite different, although they serve the same purpose.

Regarding JUnit integration: the real build logic in NWDI is rather encapsulated and there is no official documentation or support (yet?) how to integrate "other" technologies with the build. There are some ways to get things done, but they are not officially supported.

Regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you decide to go with NWDI, you can setup your own JUnit test scripts (in ant for example) that use the DTR command-line client to retrieve sources and then build and run your JUnit tests. You'll have to take care of this yourself though, as Marc already mentioned.