cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading files problem! how to control wrong file route?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've been reading this great forum and got answers to many questions, but I’ve got a little problem i haven’t found answer.

I have to insert a upload file form o xls file, and show data y a table. All works ok if you select the file from the button ‘Explore’ of Upload file component. The problem is that if you put a wrong route or filename with keyboard in the field of upload component and press the button that reads the file the system don’t responds, and you have to reload the page.

I’ve been trying many things, but I don’t know how to control this, to show a message like: “file doesn’t exist” or something similar...

Thanks in advance!,

Pedro

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

BeGanz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hallo Pedro,

<b>Symptom:</b> No error is displayed in FileUpDownload app while trying to download/upload a file which does not exist.

There are two related problems:

<b>Problem 1:</b> When 'xxx' is given, the application is hanging.

<i>Answer:</i> This is a browser bug, that has been reported to Microsoft and they said they will not fix it. This problem does not exist in firefox.

<b>Problem 2:</b> When 'C:\dd' is given, success message is displayed for FileDownload.

<i>Answer</i>: There is no difference on ther server side between an empty file and a non existent file. So there is no possibility to detect that this file does not exist. That is a limitation of the protocol, and so both browsers are affected by this limitation.

Regards, Bertram

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks a lot,

I'll keep the answer.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is not possible (as far as I know). I have been looking for this for some time and never found a solution.

But I think you have to ask yourself who is going to enter an invalid path. If the application is used by standard users, they are always going to use the "Browse" functionality.

A possible (not really nice) solution is to add a text to the view where you warn the users.

Regards,

Christophe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for answer Christophe.

It’s a little bit disappointing that text box of upload file component cant be controlled or at least disabled for keyboard, as writing the path can be is useful for user (it’s true that most times user will press browse button, but if user try to write path and makes any mistake...)

Regards,

Pedro

Former Member
0 Kudos

You're welcome.

Another problem regarding this is that you can't control the browse button or manually trigger the upload event. And every request to the server triggers an upload if a file is selected, even if it is not wanted.

There are people that say you can fire and catch every event (also that from the browse button for example) but they can't say how and I never saw a solution.

Regards,

Christophe