cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webservice returns nulls when consumed by other apps

Former Member
0 Kudos

I wrote a simple webservice that sends out data from a portal service.

I tested it with the tutorial project "MyTime"

If I just have a String getSomething() method on the portal service I can pass whatever string I want back.

But any complex object, like the IMyTime getMyTime() sample code, returns only null.

BUT it works if I create the webservice consumer as another portal project. i.e in netweaver developer studio, I create a new portal application project, and use Create new portal application object - Create New Webservice Client from wsdl, I can use this class to get the output, such as the time in this case. Caling getMyTime returns an IMyTime which will tell me the time.

If I create a webservice consumer in ASP or something else, I get only nulls for the methods that return complex objects. This is the same webservice, but one consumer can see the output properly, but others can't.

I tested this with a few other webservices and always saw the same behavior. String getString() always works, but MyObject return MyObject will only work on a consumer written by Netweaver studio.

I'm on 6.20, and the only edits I make are changing the soap.config version to "6,0,2" instead of "6,0,3"

Has anyone seen this?

My only idea is it is actually returning malformed XML and so when I use Netweaver to create the client class that unmarshalls everything it works, but if I use anything else it doesn't understand what's coming back. But I can't be sure what's happening since I don't have access to the actual stream (unless someone knows an easy way to see it - I read a few articles but didn't see anything that clearly told me what to do)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Webdynpro internally generates the proxy classes when importing the model and these proxy classes act as interface to use the webservice.

I guess in the external applications where you are trying to use this webservice, the proxy classes are not generated.

Thanks & Regards,

Amar

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I found someone at the company with lots of SOAP experience over ASP, and he told me he doesn't even use the proxy classes, he just sends strings back that contain xml. So I gave up and just did that.